Whole CAB strip loin on the WSM

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
We had a kcbs comp this weekend, and decided to try my hand at roasting a strip loin for friday's dinner. I picked up the CAB loin at RD for just under $6/lb, you can see it in the far left in fridge line up:

IMG_5170.JPG

I rubbed it down with a mix from my herb garden, sage, oregano, thyme, rosemary, chives, plus salt, pepper, olive oil, and lots of garlic.

IMG_5184.JPG

IMG_5185.JPG

I roasted the whole thing for about 2 hours. I minioned the start and never shut the dampers so the temp slowly ramped up to 300* in that time. I took it to an internal of 125*, which was probably was a tad high. I had a bit of "bull's eye" so most of the meat was close to med well with a tiny bit of med rare in the middle. No complaints though, and the herb paste was great.

IMG_5196.JPG

guess I should have let her rest longer than I did and maybe could have avoided it making such a leaky mess.

0ohMy Jeff! That Looks AMAZINGLY FANTASTIC!!!
No complaints here either, in fact, slide a slice over this way man! Lookin' Goooood!

Bravo, Jeff!

Did one of those on the Performer a while back - now I want to do another.

What did you serve with?

That looks fantastic! I agree, closer to medium rare to my eye. I'd eat that as fast as I could swipe it off the board and shove it in my mouth!

What did you serve with?

we cooked foiled potatoes on the lower grate, some garlic bread and a salad. Nothing fancy, just trying to keep the garnish crew happy.

I agree, closer to medium rare to my eye.

the color in the pic is deceiving, but you are right, it was all good.

Looks absolutely amazing.

Although, now feel that I must bring up the level of my Friday dinner at my comp this weekend.

Back