White Pepper

Mike P.

TVWBB All-Star
A friend told me about using white ground pepper instead of black ground pepper in mashed potatoes etc. He said it has a good flavor.

I was thinking about substituting it for black pepper in a steak rub. I've never seen any rub recipes calling for it though.

Has anyone used it for a BBQ ingredient? I don't even know what it tastes like yet.

Thanks

White pepper is said to be a tad milder although I find it to be interchangeable with black. People like white in mashed potatoes and sauces so you dont see the black specks. The RSC recipe calls for white but I was out so I used lack without even thinking twice

I find the flavor quite different. White is a hotter, less deep pepper taste. It's the "hot" in Chinese hot and sour soup. I use both, as well as green peppercorns all the time in rubs, usually all together, but the predominant choice is black pepper.
Some folks like white pepper in mashed potatoes so you don't see the black spots of the black pepper. I like it with fish very much. Buy some and give it a try. You'll use it as an addition to, not replacement of, black pepper.

Mike,
I use some now and then in my rubs.

Here's one you can try.
It's supposed to be Shula's steak seasoning used at his steakhouse:

1 cup kosher salt
4 teaspoons ground white pepper
4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
2 teaspoons thyme

note, I would go with chile powder instead of the paprika, such as ancho, and maybe a touch of sugar.
This should be easy cut in half, or even quarter to see if you like it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
Mike,
I use some now and then in my rubs.

Here's one you can try.
It's supposed to be Shula's steak seasoning used at his steakhouse:

1 cup kosher salt
4 teaspoons ground white pepper
4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
2 teaspoons thyme

note, I would go with chile powder instead of the paprika, such as ancho, and maybe a touch of sugar.
This should be easy cut in half, or even
quarter to see if you like it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I just found my next seasoning for a steak

Thanks for the replies Guys. I learn something new eveyday at this site. I'll give it a try!

I love white pepper. I use it in rubs all the time, and even season french fries with it. I agree with the consensus that you will use it in addition to, not in replacement of, black pepper, but I have to admit I don't use much black pepper in rubs anymore.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris W.:
I love white pepper. I use it in rubs all the time, and even season french fries with it. I agree with the consensus that you will use it in addition to, not in replacement of, black pepper, but I have to admit I don't use much black pepper in rubs anymore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you say French Fries? They should be their own food group along with Bacon! Now I know I have to try it!

Thanks Chris

I use white pepper sometimes, but for no particular reason. I never really noticed a difference in flavor, but I'm pretty sure that there must be one.

i bought it mainly to show my daughters when they were younger that they could eat pepper! do i notice a huge flavor difference? i think it is a bit milder.... but not a direct substitute for black pepper.

FWIW, I have just used white pepper for the first time in a rub on 2 lo/slo butts. My impression of white pepper is that the heat seems to kick in after a delay. Has anyone else gotten this? I was thinking that white pepper could be useful in giving a layering effect.

I use white pepper in lots of foods because my family allegedly doesn't like pepper in anything.
icon_cool.gif

what they don't know won't hurt them.

Kevin described the flavor/scent of white pepper as "horsey" and it's stuck in my head.

keep in mind that white pepper is the core of the peppercorn. I like to mix white/black and green peppercorns together, but it's probably redundant.

You'll find white pepper in a lot of pork sausage recipes. It tends to be a big part of the flavor profile of recipes like brats and polish sausage.

I think there is definitely a difference in white pepper. If you grind white pepper into one hand, and black tellicherry into the other habd, and tasting, then you will see the difference.

I also have Sarawak (white and black) and Malibar peppercorns and each is different. Sarawak seems the mildest and I like it on salads.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
Kevin described the flavor/scent of white pepper as "horsey" and it's stuck in my head.

keep in mind that white pepper is the core of the peppercorn. I like to mix white/black and green peppercorns together, but it's probably redundant.

You'll find white pepper in a lot of pork sausage recipes. It tends to be a big part of the flavor profile of recipes like brats and polish sausage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL j, Now I'll have to try the Green too! Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
I think there is definitely a difference in white pepper. If you grind white pepper into one hand, and black tellicherry into the other habd, and tasting, then you will see the difference.

I also have Sarawak (white and black) and Malibar peppercorns and each is different. Sarawak seems the mildest and I like it on salads.

Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ray, That's a Great idea. I'm new to this cooking gig. I don't know what one spice tastes like from the other. I need to make up a sample plate and find out about each one with just a taste of each.

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike David P:

Did you say French Fries? They should be their own food group along with Bacon! Now I know I have to try it!

Thanks Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, french fries! I usually use frozen Ore Ida fries and put a slight amount of salt on them, along with a generous helping of white pepper. They come out really well, and just slightly spicy.

And speaking of green peppercorns, I like those in rubs more than I do white pepper. I find that I don't usually use green peppercorns just plain on anything like I do white or black pepper, but I'll put them in almost every single rub I make.

I make up a "pepper mix" using equal parts of white, red, and black peppers and Old Bay Seasoning. I keep it on the table and I keep some at work.It gives things a nice little kick and I use it on about everything....try it with additional Old Bay on warm buttered popcorn....along with you favorite beverage!

Back