Which smoker to buy?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
For someone who does not want to spend $250 on a Weber smoker, can you recommend a quality substitue? I looked at a charbroil version of this unit at home depot for $35 and though it will probably work, i did not like the quality. Can you recommend a quality unit that is meaningfully less expensive than the WSM?

Save your money until you can talk yourself into a wsm. Anything comparable is hundreds of dollars more.

What you'll spend on fuel and frustration with a cheap unit will be offset by the $$$$$$ difference.

That's if you really want to do good cue consistently.

If you go cheap, you should probably get a Brinkman. At least a lot of people have used it and can help you with some mods to make it work better. Remember, there are two types of quality - materials and functionality. The weber has both. The cheaper brands have neither. The materials will last a few years, but the functionality is sorely lacking on the cheaper units. There really isn't anything in between. Look at the prices, there are basically $50-$100 units and then the WSM at around $200.

though i will wait for a few more people to weigh in, Jerry may have summed it up best. It sounds like there is only one choice. Since i have a weber charcoal and a weber gas, the latter being a recent purchase, i was trying to avoid the extra expense if possible.

Being a fairly new WSM owner, I can tell you my experience. I did a lot of research before buying and I also thought the price was a little steep, considering 1) I already have a pretty good gasser and 2) I don't really know if I'll like the whole BBQ experience. Finally I decided that if I really wanted to have the proper BBQ experience, I wanted to at least ensure that I was using a good quality unit. When you consider the quality of unit and the experience that you are going to receive I think the price is really worth it. Now that I have a few cooks under my belt the $$ that I spent were definitely worth it.

That my $0.02 anyways

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
Remember, there are two types of quality - materials and functionality. The weber has both. The cheaper brands have neither. The materials will last a few years, but the functionality is sorely lacking on the cheaper units. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen. My father-in-law has an 'el cheapo Brinkman' since we've been married (12 yrs.) I think he's used it 3 times. Every time he uses it, it's an excercise in futility. It just doesn't work that well.

OTOH, a good friend of mine has a WSM (I have a 2005 Performer w/a "BBQ Baffle"). Anyway, I was at his place over the July 4th weekend and we did BRITU ribs. He followed the BRITU recipie to the letter and the ribs were just fabulous. The entire process was also stone simple. Once the fire was established and the ribs were on, it was 'set it and forget it' until it was time to check for doneness. It could NOT be easier.

Point is that if you go cheap first, you'll likely be disappointed and give up on Qing. Spring for the WSM, and you'll be blown away by the quality and ease of use.

My favorite quote: "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." Read it, learn it, live it.

Not to get off on a tangent, but this is why I won't by anything at Wal-Mart. It's the lowest common denominator. Do you really think an $8 toaster is going to be worth a sh!t? Sure, it might get hot and make something like toast a few times, but then it quits and you throw it away in a perpetual cycle of filling up landfills and sending jobs overseas.

But I digress.....

Buy quality once and you're done. It might hurt a little up front, but it pays in the end. I paid $1000 for a Sebo cannister vac for our house when we moved in (our old house had a central vac that I put in). Yes, that's an insane amount for a vacuum. The Euro exchange rate doesn't help (it's German). It's plain white Euro design, not some colored whiffle ball looking Dyson. It has triple filters, it is so quiet that you can barely hear it run, variable (amazing) suction, and it has a fit and precision that is superb. It likely will last 25 years with basic maintenance.

Or, I could go out and buy a piece of junk for $60 every year from Wal-Mart that barely works, etc. etc. and at the end of 25 years have spent over twice the amount of money as on one good one. The trick is that I will maintain and service the Sebo, unlike a lot of people.

Unfortunately, this is a concept that is lost on most Americans today. People equate only to low price and ignore features, quality, performance, etc. It's only how big for how cheap.

Get the WSM.....

Chris

Personally I stay far, far away from anything Charbroil. I made the mistake of buying one of their smokers last summer (not the $35 one either). The very first time I used it all the paint peeled off the inside in big sheets. Much time on hold waiting for customer "service" only to have them blame me saying that the instructions clearly state that you are supposed to "season" the smoker before attempting to use it. She couldn't tell my exactly *how* to season it, just kept insisting that it was in the instructions. I read every word of the instructions to her and asked her to point out exactly where the word "season" was used at all. She couldn't because it wasn't there.

So, the next step was to try to get a replacement part. I kid you not, there is exactly one person in the entire corporation who can authorize a part exchange. Naturally that person had left the office for the day, being it was 2pm CST on a Friday afternoon and all </sarchasm>. After three days of trying at all hours of the day to get this person on the phone the following week I finally gave up and returned the unit to the store. Funny, there was a person in line right behind me returning one of their grills.
icon_smile.gif

No sir, I wouldn't use one of their units if you paid me to.

I've read here and other places about people having good luck with smoking on a kettle. I've got a gift certificate to a local butcher so the wife wants me to pick up something and give it a go this weekend (thinking pork-butt).
icon_smile.gif

I think a Weber kettle makes more sense to use as a smoker than the very cheap smokers. There are numerous threads on this sight and elsewhere that explain how to use a kettle as a smoker. If I had $80 to spend on a smoker, I would get a Weber 22.5" one touch kettle. Even if you graduated to a WSM down the road, the kettle would continue to get a lot of use for high temp indirect cooking as well as grilling steaks and other direct cook items.

Davidd,

With all due respect, you're comparing the wrong way. Rather than comparing to cheaper cookers, you should be comparing to more expensive, quality cookers.

The WSM offers the same quality and cooking control as cookers costing hundreds to thousands of dollars more. The WSM is a common sight at BBQ comps all over the country, and wins against some of the most expensive BBQs money can buy. When compared on the merits of its quality and functionality, the WSM could be considered a bargain.

Your other Weber purchases serve as a testament to your eye for quality and value. The same principles you used to decide to purchase those items apply here.

And finally, after purchasing and using your WSM should you decide that you're not completely satisfied, I'm certain you'll have no difficulty finding someone here willing to take it off your hands for a fair price. I'm not so sure you'd be able to give away any $40 El Cheapo.

I wholeheartedly agree with David's idea of purchasing a weber kettle for smoking (and of course grilling). I did this for five years and produced some great bbq out of the kettle. Buy yourself one of raichlen's books (which are geared towards a kettle) and you'll be all set.

If you really want a cheaper smoker that works pretty well, try a Cabelas Premium Electric Smoker. It's made by Masterbuilt, and is really easy to use.

I followed the recipes on here the same way and it worked great every time. Plus, temp control is very easy due to the electrical element. I was able to get it up to 350 if I wanted. It's built fairly well, too. But its definitely not as heavy duty as the WSM.

The big difference is that with the electric Cabelas one is there is no flame. Although the temp is ready in about 10 minutes, it takes about 30 - 45 mins to get smoking since it has to heat the wood and then it gets going. Also, you need to anticipate when the wood chunks/chips will run out in order to add another chunk due to the delay. Also, you can't really use it in the rain since its electric. I was able to tarp over my arbor and keep rain out of it a few times, but I wouldn't want to do that all the time.

Here's a link to it: Cabela's Premium Electric Smoker

Very good advice all around.

I started out with a Brinkman smoker and it done ok for me as a beginner and actually done several good cooks on it, but at that time I didn't even know the WSM exsisted. After studing here and other places I was ready to upgrade to the WSM and haven't looked back since. My brinkman is now a spiders nice home and the charcoal pan makes a good dog food dish. There is no comparison really between any of the smokers.

If you really like this type of cooking, I would go with the WSM. You will be very happy with it and it will last for many, many years to come. If not the brinkman will get you started to make sure you enjoy this sytle of cooking.

Good luck and have fun!

Randy

I have been down this road too. Bought my first smoker - a Brinkmann - couldn't wait to part with it when I found out about the WSM. I agree with the advice of "buy it and cry only once". The other option to wait and keep trying to find one that is gently used. Using Craigslist, I just bought a WSM for $150 that had been used only 1 or 2 times by the previous owner.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin S.:
Davidd,

With all due respect, you're comparing the wrong way. Rather than comparing to cheaper cookers, you should be comparing to more expensive, quality cookers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point! Indeed, Weber products are a great value for the functionality and quality you get. There are some MUCH more expensive grills and smokers out there that likely won't give any better quality of output or longevity than a Weber unit.

Weber has nailed the price vs. quality ratio perfectly. To get more, you have to spend a disproportionate amount of $$ to get it. To go cheaper, you immediately start to sacrifice quality.

Chris

My Story,
I bought a brinkman for $39 when I wanted to try a smoked turkey for thanksgiving last year. It turned out great, now I'm hooked. Did a lot of research on water smokers. WSM had the best reviews, but could never find one locally. I spent some time & money on brinkman mods. Then I saw a WSM at a grill shop for $179 when I was purchasing wood chunks. I checked it out as I now have some idea what to look for. I bought it on the spot. Sqeezed my wallet a little, but was BEST investment I ever made. The only perminent mod I made was to install an industrial thermometer in the lid. This is a great site to learn from. Kinda like a club that does not require dues.
NOTE: I gave my modded out brinkman to a friend who soon after bought a WSM, now we hang out more often.

My advise. If you have $40, save up and get one of these. You will be armed with the best. Friends will ask, and depend on you for the best "Q". I used to be the guy who brougt beer & chips to a party. Now when I show up a cooler, they know it's going to be good eats.

All the good things said about the WSM are true but if you can't afford one, you could look at a Chargriller at Lowes--$150.00 with the side fire box or $100.00 without.

This is a pretty good smoker grill for the money. And service is absolutely top notch.

For the record I have both a Chargriller and a WSM. I do low and slow on the WSM and grilling as well as BCC and slow smoked chicken and ribs on the Chargriller. Would't be the same if I didn't have both but I could (and have) done low and slow on the Chargriller.

I know people who use el-cheapo smokers and are very happy with them. They typically smoke turkey, chicken, fish, and maybe a prime rib or something. They say they work great.

Of course, none of the above items require good temperature control. They don't use thermometers anyways, so it doesn't matter. I think your choice of smoker depends upon what you intend to cook. If you want to ribs, pulled pork, brisket....get a WSM. You won't be unhappy. If you don't want those types of items, get whatever. Temp control won't matter.

-Matt

Davidd,
I agree to save your pennies for a WSM. However, you CAN do a decent smoke on a Weber kettle, but you will need to fiddle w/ it about every45-60 min. and overnight smokes are out of the question.
I did some really good ribs, butts, and briskets on my kettle.

Back