Which smoker to buy?

I think the electric may be the best substitute. I can tell you from personal experience to stay away from the el chepo brinkman. This was my first smoker and I would use it 2 or 3 times a year to smoke ribs. It didn't even do a real good job at that. I remember it choking down after 4 hours or so from the ash having no place to go. I don't know how it would be possible to cook a brisket or pork butt on it for 14 hours.

Two years ago I bought my wsm after looking around for a better smoker I found this site. The first 6 weeks I owned it I probobly cooked 10 times on it. I love it. They will have to pry it from my cold dead fingers, if you know what I mean.
icon_wink.gif

wsmsmile8gm.gif

The other day I dumped 3/4 of a chimney of K with a chunk of hickory into my 18" weber kettle with a charcoal rail set to keep all the coals on one side. I seared a 2.5# pork lion on both sides, then moved it away from the coals and cooked it indirect to 135* (grate was 300*)

O baby, was it good.

You can smoke in a kettle, a WSM is better, but a kettle is good!

Sad though it may be, I never had any takers. Poor old fella is just sitting back keeping the woodpile company at present. I'm sure his intentions were good, but he was the most contrary thing to try to cook on that I've ever seen.

MVC-312S.jpg

I'd also recommend checking Craig's list if there's one around you for smokers in the free/for sale area. Just in case. There's an electric model for $30 in Austin right now, for example.

DO NOT BUY CHARBROIL. That was my 1st one and the only thing that's good about it is that i use the charcoal pan as the water pan in my WSM. IT's much bigger and more sturdy than the one that comes with the WSM. Other than that - it's junk.

Well surprisingly no one has mention a Propane Smoker. I'll toss it out then. Gander Mountain has a Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain Propane fired smoker. They have 2 models a small one and aBig Block. I had the smaller version first but now own the Big Block. I paid 179 for big block and I beleive you can get the smaller version for around $100 or just a few dollas more. I have used these going 4 years now. I can usely get 3 over night cooks per tank and some small ones to boot as extras.
You do have to be careful where you purchase this type smoker from. Some other places the specifications are changed and made cheaper. There was a sight on the internet that sold them but I do not have it right off hand.

Wow, that is pretty overwhelming. It's a done deal, i will buy the WSM. First, I will continue to hone my skills and experiment with the 22 inch kettle, which after David L's recommendation, has worked terrificly. Yes, i need to check on it more often, but that's partly inexperience b/c it is holding temps very consistently using his method. I will attempt another rack of ribs today and try not to overcook them. I tried to go by time last weekend, not feel. Big mistake. After 4 hours, i need to watch /check them closely for doneness.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Davidd:
Wow, that is pretty overwhelming. It's a done deal, i will buy the WSM. First, I will continue to hone my skills and experiment with the 22 inch kettle, which after David L's recommendation, has worked terrificly. Yes, i need to check on it more often, but that's partly inexperience b/c it is holding temps very consistently using his method. I will attempt another rack of ribs today and try not to overcook them. I tried to go by time last weekend, not feel. Big mistake. After 4 hours, i need to watch /check them closely for doneness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use the BBQBaffle with my Performer kettle. BBQ Baffle It's inexpensive and works fabulously. Since I'm the only BBQ eater in our house for the most part, I don't need the capacity of the WSM. A small butt or a few racks of ribs is all I need.

Indeed, I have to check/feed it every hour or so, but it's not a big deal. The WSM is one of only a few smokers that can handle such long unattented cooks.

Chris

I originally bought the brinkman for $36 at Home Depot. I used it once. Soon after, I bought the WSM for $249. I have been hooked on BBQ'ing ever since.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keri C:
Sad though it may be, I never had any takers. Poor old fella is just sitting back keeping the woodpile company at present. I'm sure his intentions were good, but he was the most contrary thing to try to cook on that I've ever seen.

MVC-312S.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have my ECB next to my WSM & Kettle. I have a fireproof mat under it and light my chimney on it. If I could find my top I'd take it to my 1st comp and set it up just for laughs.

Back