Where's the smoke?

Jeff Ben

First time smoking today.. I am doing a rack of ribs. I have the 18 all setup and for the first 3 hours smoke was bellowing out I added just a couple piece of charcoal and wood just to keep the temperature up(I guess) I set it and forgot it..I even left for two hours. So now I'm back home and the temp gauge on the smoker is still in the gray area but there is NO smoke coming out?? What's wrong or is that Normal? Thanks

Too much of anything is never good particular with smoke. My best cooks only smoke for maybe two hours

You're good. The meat absorbs most of the smoke flavor in the first couple of hours and as ChuckO pointed out too much smoke can be overpowering.

... and just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. You are looking for thin blue smoke and not the big white cloud

Do a little reading on smoke. you don't want your smoker putting out a ton of thick white/grey smoke. Too much of that and you food tastes not so good. You want a clean fire and you want "thin blue smoke" coming out of your top vent. Everyone has their own opinion but the less smoke you see the better it is going to taste in my book.

Back