Where we stand on the smokefire

I'm an early adopter, and I've made the hardware and software upgrades. The roll out wasn't as smooth as it could have been but I can honestly say that I every single cook I've done has turned out great food. It has become my primary device, simply for the ease of use.

For example, I started it last night at 8 pm, brought it up to 225* and put on a 10.5 lb pork butt. Loaded the hopper and let it go. I got up to check it every couple of hours because it's my first overnight cook on it but it's never wavered. At 11 hours I added more pellets, even though it wasn't quite empty. At the 12 hour mark the internal temp is 170*.

I have to say that the latest firmware and software updates have made this into the cooker I envisioned when I bought it. Is it perfect, no. But with a little patience it's certainly come closer.

I'm an early adopter, and I've made the hardware and software upgrades. The roll out wasn't as smooth as it could have been but I can honestly say that I every single cook I've done has turned out great food. It has become my primary device, simply for the ease of use.

For example, I started it last night at 8 pm, brought it up to 225* and put on a 10.5 lb pork butt. Loaded the hopper and let it go. I got up to check it every couple of hours because it's my first overnight cook on it but it's never wavered. At 11 hours I added more pellets, even though it wasn't quite empty. At the 12 hour mark the internal temp is 170*.

I have to say that the latest firmware and software updates have made this into the cooker I envisioned when I bought it. Is it perfect, no. But with a little patience it's certainly come closer.
Lol, I read this and thought I wrote it, I could not agree more. Every cook has been amazing. Weber did a great job with the updates. Can’t wait until the 4th of July. Pulled pork for sure and if I can find a prime brisket at a Costco it’s on!!

As much as I love Weber grills I'm so glad I went with the Camp Chef... Faultless and super great cooks and at my age and condition I need faultless.
Weber get me back!!! I would love to get a an EX-4, but make it work!
I'm with you Rich. I saw a used EX4 on Marketplace for $800 and it didn't sell until he dropped the price to $675. I was very tempted but my old CC makes life so simple that I didn't risk it.

I would be leery of buying a used one unless I knew that all the mods Weber sent out were installed and the firmware and software was current. A lot of people on here are probably on first name basis with the Weber support team because of their drive to get their grills working right.
Also if the previous owner registered the grill would Weber give the second owner the free upgrades going forward plus the warranty would not be in effect anymore.
The SmokeFire is a complex grill with all the electronics and mechanical items that could be very expensive to fix.
I would love to save a couple hundred dollars, but I don't think it would be worth the risk knowing what I've read here on the forum.

I would be leery of buying a used one unless I knew that all the mods Weber sent out were installed and the firmware and software was current. A lot of people on here are probably on first name basis with the Weber support team because of their drive to get their grills working right.
Also if the previous owner registered the grill would Weber give the second owner the free upgrades going forward plus the warranty would not be in effect anymore.
The SmokeFire is a complex grill with all the electronics and mechanical items that could be very expensive to fix.
I would love to save a couple hundred dollars, but I don't think it would be worth the risk knowing what I've read here on the forum.
I think they would be compelled to by law as many of those changes were done for safety

I think they would be compelled to by law as many of those changes were done for safety

You might be right Larry on the safety issues, I would hope so but even if it wasn't required by law I would think Weber would step up at least on the safety part. But I'm pretty sure the warranty reads that the original purchaser is the only one covered so if you buy a used one and it was already registered can you say your sol.

Back