Where to get a gasser?

M Crooks

TVWBB Fan
I have been cruising craigslist looking for a decent deal on a gasser. No luck so far. Anyone have anywhere else I should be looking? I am in the Chicago area.
Thanks Matt

Matt
Here is one http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/hsh/4325533076.html and another http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/for/4331615310.html not sure how far you want to drive. If you search CL be sure to include, Rockford, Janesville WI and Madison WI as this will pretty much cover the I90 corridor. Also be patient and quick on the draw if you see a deal as they disappear quick to people like ME ;-)
Also what is your price range and are you open to other brands? Solid brands you can look for, Ducane (the real Ducane not the Chinese Weber product), Broilmaster, Lynx, Wolf, Napoleon to name a few. Heck I just missed 2 great deals. A lynx and a Napoleon because I could not pull the trigger fast enough. The deals are there you have to peruse CL very carefully and don't be afraid to hit I90 for a little road trip

What LMichaels said. Being in Weber country like you are, a deal is bound to pop up soon. Here, spring time means lots of "free" Webers which typically don't need much. I picked up a 6 burner Summit that way. Lots of estate sales have grills for sale as moving something that large is costly. Especially on the last day of the sale when they're trying to give it away. I got a 2013 18.5" WSM for $100 that way.

Thanks for the responses. Are the older grills you linked easy to clean? I have been looking for newer models. But if those are just as good..

I havent restored a grill before how hard is?

No harder or easier. Just use patience and common sense. Mostly it's just a matter of cleaning and replacing some easy to find parts. I expect that in another week or so CL will be flooded with grills. The deals may surprise you too i.e. I got my Summit 4 burner for $50, I picked up my Wolf 6 burner all SS with rear IR burner and solid SS cart for $150, back in December I nailed a Broilmaster P3 for free because the owner did not want to move it,. It is just a matter of sitting on CL, don't be afraid of a little drive, and patience. If you have a question about something post the link(s) here. We can always chop in to give advice

Personally, I prefer the 'old' style over the 'new' style. IE: the Genesis Silver/Gold B/C over the E-310/330
Even then, the older grills had a deeper firebox which used 13 flavorizer bars instead of 5 on the newer ones.
Most times, a full burner cleaning and maybe an ignitor swap will get you another 5 years of flawless performance.
Really, it's all about the frame and the condition it's in. If the grill sat on a deck, should be very little rust.
As LMichaels said, the deals are there if you keep an eye out (Weber, Webber, BBQ, Barbecue, Barbeque) and Estatesales.net

I am in your area also. I have been watching craigslist for about 5 years. It will really pick up in the spring, has always been real slow in the winter. Good luck!

I have been cruising craigslist looking for a decent deal on a gasser. No luck so far. Anyone have anywhere else I should be looking? I am in the Chicago area.
Thanks Matt

What LMichaels said. Being in Weber country like you are, a deal is bound to pop up soon. Here, spring time means lots of "free" Webers which typically don't need much. I picked up a 6 burner Summit that way. Lots of estate sales have grills for sale as moving something that large is costly. Especially on the last day of the sale when they're trying to give it away. I got a 2013 18.5" WSM for $100 that way.

Actually, here in "Weber Country" as you say, the opposite is true. People seem to think that grills age like fine wine, and want unreasonably high residual values for them on craigslist.

22.5 OTG seem to always go for more than $100. WSMs seem to go for over $200, even if they are well used.

I have time and am willing to drive to get a deal. I will wait it out a few more months and see what happens

I have time and am willing to drive to get a deal. I will wait it out a few more months and see what happens.
I want a LP grill thats easy to clean. I hadnt been looking at other brands besides weber

I have heard good/bad on these. Some were all solid 304SS some not. I think the only way to know is to have a look at it and see what it is made of. Weak points I know of, grates not holding up, warming rack warping, burners rotting, heat tents burning through and issues with firebox on the bad ones. On the ggod ones magnet will not stick to anything (due to 304 SS construction). I might go here http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php?act=idx and ask the questions to a guy called Tubby's Smokehouse. He knows those Ducanes like the back of his hand.
I would be trying to get it for $250 BTW and see from there if it's a good one to buy
BTW I would be ALL OVER THIS INSTEAD http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/for/4341394769.html

Last edited:
I sent an email for that one.
What would be a good price on it? I didnt like the look of the rust? on the stainless doors. Makes me wonder what condition its in.

That is not rust I'll lay odds it's just staining. Frankly if it's all there and working it's a $500 grill easy. Deduct from there if something is missing or not operational. Worst case scenario you could clean it up and sell it at a profit

Matt, if you are a little patient, you will find one on CL. I check it everyday for any Webers. Last year I finally found a performer for a great deal after looking for 6 months. Today I found a Genesis E-310 for $ 125. I wasn't really looking for a gasser but it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Good things come to those who wait. Just keep looking and you will find what you're looking for

I hate being patient and have been looking for over a month. Its just the wrong time of the year and has been to cold for to long around here. I didnt know to look at these other fancy brands until now. I do have time and will keep looking.

Going to run a natural gas line into my garage tomorrow. Told my buddy thats helping me its for when I find a cheap furnace this summer but we will put a whip on it now. Just in case I find a grill before then. Might as well have both options open.

Back