Where to Find Pork Butt in the Boston Area

Hi John,

I've not been able to find bone-in butt in my travels, but BJ's sometimes has bone-in picnics. A friend recently recommened Dom's Sausage in Malden as a place to get butt, though I haven't been there. I have gotten boneless butts from Lowell Provision in the past, and Demoulas/Market Basket often has boneless butts too.

Good luck,
Mark

They are definately hard to find around here. Market Basket in Woburn has had them on occasion, they stock bone in picnic all the time though.

Kev

Kind of funny huh? No "Boston" butts in Boston.
icon_wink.gif

I always get mine at BJ's in Plymouth.Try the BJ's in Weymouth. You should find some there. Mostly bone in.Good Luck!

If you have a Sam's, ask them. They certainly carry them in Detroit. I would also search out a good meat market and ask the butcher. It may be that they're not available, but the quickest way to find out is by asking a good butcher.

Thank you all for your very helpful input. After driving around for about 3 hours - success - I was able to buy a 7 lb, bone-in, pork butt at BJ's in Danvers, MA.

First I tried BJ's in Medford. They had picnics, but no butt. At Danvers, they only had picincs in the case. However, I asked a woman who worked in the meat dept and she said she had bone-in butt in the back. She brought out a 2 butt cryopack whiched weighed about 14 lbs and the price was $1.39/lb. She said she could split the pack, but would have to raise the price to $1.69/lb for a single butt, which I purchased. At Costco, and Market Basket I found boneless butt, but none of the bone-in variety.
John

Good job, but you'll be sorry you didn't just take the 2 butt cryopack. The work involved in doing two butts isn't much more than one and the left overs are great to freeze for sandwiches later, especially if you have a foodsaver. Anyway, you got one now - enjoy your cook. Pork butt is a wsm classic.

Back