Where to find best quality meats

Jon Davidson

I'm very new to quality grilling. I've done my obvious fair share of burgers, brats, breasts and some steaks. But I want to move up. I've got a great gas grill and I'm ready to learn some new things and try new meats. Is my best bet going to local butcher shop at Kroger and getting my meat or should I try something like Omaha or any place online? This may be an awful and stupid question, so I apologize, I just have never been familiar with the Omaha type deals and whether they were actual quality meats. Any advice or input is great.y appreciated. Thank you

Its hard to say. We don't seem to have much in the way of real butcher shops anymore here in my neck of the woods so I have to find my meat at the better quality grocery stores. Others may disagree but I have not been impressed with the meat I have received from Omaha Steaks. The only good info I can offer is wherever you get your meat from don't go with a grade lower then Choice (meaning no select)

It's kind of hit and miss at the local markets. We now make our own ground beef so we can control the mixture a little better and very happy with that. I only buy my steaks now at Costco as they seem to be about the best and steaks are to expensive to take a crap shoot on at the local markets.
I haven't had Omaha steaks in years so really can't say on those.
Although at the local markets I will check the dog food section for discounted beef and have been lucky with some good buys there on Tri-Tips, chuck roast, steaks, etc. which were all good so far.

Being from Ohio I would assume there are some good quality meat markets around or a hobby farmer you could buy a steer or pig from and get it butchered yourself given you have a big enough freezer. That would be the two best options I can think of.

Is my best bet going to local butcher shop at Kroger and getting my meat or should I try something like Omaha or any place online?

I'd start at Kroger and go from there. Especially if you are branching out and trying new things. I've gotten meat from smaller butchers, Publix, Winn Dixie, Albertson's, etc - and I've been more than happy with all of it. Sure the meat is important, but proper cooking techniques are of larger importantance IMO. I'd rather have a less quality piece of meat cooked properly, than the best cut of meat cooked incorrectly. :)

A local meat processor would be my first choice. Costco would be my second choice. Trader Joe's would be my third choice. If you can't find something extra special at one of those places, then you are setting your standards too high. The "prime" cuts at Costco are wonderful. I get their thick cut boneless ribeyes, take them out of their packaging, and freeze them individually. They usually have 3 to a pack. We eat 1 steak between the 2 of us at a single meal. Just the right amount to enjoy without over indulging.

You are in the cincinatti area a great place to go would be Jungle Jim's market, there meat is high quality and reasonably priced, not to mention the market is unlike most. check out there website http://www.junglejims.com/ A very interesting place to visit and shop

Jon;
Try Stehlin Meats on Colerain Ave. in Cincinnati just off I-275 (just north of the Interstate on the east side:

http://www.stehlinsmeatmarket.com/locally-raised-beef/

Also, I have to second the motion to try Costco in Springdale on East Kemper Road just east of Tri County Shopping Center (that's where I buy a good bit of my meat).

It's a bit far for you, but a good number of people from Hamilton, Ohio make a trip to Brookville, Indiana to Rosenbergers (a family owned local supermarket with several meat cutters always on hand to give custom service). We often take a cooler and buy meat for the freezer. They have the best smoked pork chops you have ever sunk your teeth into. They are WONDERFUL on the grill. I often will have them cut up an entire bone in Boston Butt for pork steaks at our preference of thickness, etc.

http://www.rosenbergersmarket.com/

I cannot believe I forgot Jungle Jim's - they not only have excellent meats but all kinds of exotic rubs, sauces, and Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning, too...

http://www.junglejims.com/

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
The best place for quality meat is the forest: Deer, Elk & Wild pig or the river: teal & Pintails

I would agree than an old fashioned Meat counter is the best. They are getting less popular but there are a few around. Another option is a Meat locker / Processor. If your not familiar find local farmer and ask where they process their meat as most have a store where they sell their excess meats. I bought 1/2 a hog this summer & the store inside the market was a fantastic find.

I usually go COstco, and for great briskets, I usually order Snake River Farms or Pat Lafreidas. I did a Prime Brisket from Lafrieda this past weekend, that I think was better then any SNR one I cooked...was so impressed.

Believe it or not but I actually found Wagu ribeyes at a Sam's Club in Springfield, Mo last summer. My sis and bil were coming for a visit so wife and I purchased 4 steaks (almost $80.00). They were about 1 1/2 inches thick and beautifully marbled with small pieces of fat over the entire surface and both sides. Grilled them on my Q320 to 130 degrees then let rest for about 30 minutes. My sis said it was the best ribeye she'd ever eaten and we all agreed. If you've got a Sam's club wouldn't hurt to check.

Last edited:
There is a butcher in downtown Cincinnati by the Courthouse (whose name escapes me at the moment) where I used to get my shoulders. I also used to get quite a bit of stuff at the Fresh Market, but feel like their quality has been declining for a while. I would look around your area for a butcher that isn't affiliated with a grocery chain or try to find a farm that sells retail cuts.

I've had really good luck getting full briskets and butts from the Restaurant Depot, butts, whole chickens and chuck roasts from Costco for smoke meat. My local Wegmans cuts standing rib roasts to order and these are pretty good too. I could buy the rib roasts from Costco but it is a 7 boner and way too big for my needs. My local Whole Paycheck has good retail cuts as well but it is pricey.

Wife and I received a Sams Club membership for Christmas. I had bought a majority of my meat at Tom Thumb and Kroger prior to Sams. I was very impressed with Sams selection. Kroger/Tom Thumb would sell brisket flats but they would trim every ounce of fat off them which made them impossible to smoke. Sams had choice packer briskets and untrimmed choice flats. I bought 2 choice ribeyes and a choice flat from Sams and they turned out very well. When I was there I did not spot any prime beef but I hear they have it most of the time. I have a high end butcher/wine store near my house as well. I cooked two dry aged prime steaks one time. They mailed out a 20% off coupon but those ribeyes were $18.99/lb! Crazy! My go to place now is now Sams without a doubt.

Back