Where do you get wood

Ted from Bristow

TVWBB Member
I figured this has been discussed before, but my search came up empty. In any case, as the title implies, I'm curious to see where you guys get wood for your smokes.
I have a local firewood supplier that separates their wood by species. Their stock rotates based on whatever they happen to cut down or remove. Living in NoVA, they always have oak, maple, and (bradford) pear. They usually have hickory and cherry.
Anyway, I have a firepit in my backyard and go camping 1-2X per year, so they are my "go to" for firewood.
I usually take 2-3 pieces of whatever firewood I select and pay a visit to my bandsaw to cut them into chunks.

Right now I have a good sized stash of cherry and hickory chunks. Hickory is always a favorite of mine. I never used cherry before until very recently. I find it a bit too mild for my taste. I'll probably go back to maple or oak as my 'mild' wood, especially since its goes so well with chicken- which I frequently smoke.

No sweat. As I said, the search is for all intents useless. I can search for a post I made yesterday and it won't find it.

I figured this has been discussed before, but my search came up empty. In any case, as the title implies, I'm curious to see where you guys get wood for your smokes.
I have a local firewood supplier that separates their wood by species. Their stock rotates based on whatever they happen to cut down or remove. Living in NoVA, they always have oak, maple, and (bradford) pear. They usually have hickory and cherry.
Anyway, I have a firepit in my backyard and go camping 1-2X per year, so they are my "go to" for firewood.
I usually take 2-3 pieces of whatever firewood I select and pay a visit to my bandsaw to cut them into chunks.

Right now I have a good sized stash of cherry and hickory chunks. Hickory is always a favorite of mine. I never used cherry before until very recently. I find it a bit too mild for my taste. I'll probably go back to maple or oak as my 'mild' wood, especially since its goes so well with chicken- which I frequently smoke.

Seems to me you are well covered with what you like to smoke with.:wsm:
Are you looking for something different/options?

Tim

I've found my local grocery stores now stock some, usually hickory, mesquite, oak and apple.

HD/Lowes here has it, as does Wally World.

Currently I have a friend in East Central IL who has an organic apple orchard and most of my wood is from there provided for some help
on the property. I also have a peach tree that has not produced for 3 years and a honey crisp apple tree that has gone for 4 years since its
last apples. Thats long enough, they have earned their trip to my smokers.

I always see local firewood producers advertising on craigslist but most i have contacted aren't interested in taking the time to sell smaller quantities. On a whim I posted in the barter section of craigslist. I met a older gentleman who heats his home strictly with hardwoods. We struck up a deal and I ended up with enough pear, cherry, hickory , and apple wood, In exchange, I dropped off some leftovers from my cook a couple days later using wood if got from him (pulled pork, Cajun corn, and beans) and some banana bread we received from a friend, and he insisted on giving me more wood!

I always see local firewood producers advertising on craigslist but most i have contacted aren't interested in taking the time to sell smaller quantities. On a whim I posted in the barter section of craigslist. I met a older gentleman who heats his home strictly with hardwoods. We struck up a deal and I ended up with enough pear, cherry, hickory , and apple wood, In exchange, I dropped off some leftovers from my cook a couple days later using wood if got from him (pulled pork, Cajun corn, and beans) and some banana bread we received from a friend, and he insisted on giving me more wood!

Best deal around. I wish I could meet a "barter buddy".

Apple and cherry from the backyard. Oak is local as well. I have to say the best smoke (pecan/hickory) I have ever got was from Cookshack in OK.

Lately I've mainly been using local cut shaggy bark hickory. Maybe it's not as strong as some other hickories as I find it's really good on everything.

I've gotten it from friends, and from a couple different guys selling it by the road. I'm using a miter saw to cut splits to a chunk length and then I split as needed.

I live in Topeka,KS and at the Farmers Market there are several people selling different types of wood for smoking. Also quite a few folks selling homemade rubs. (One old fart makes and sells it in Mason jars. Best stuff I've yet found on pork!)

If there is a Sportsman's Warehouse near where you live, check out what types of wood they carry. You might be pleasantly surprised. I get just about all my wood from the one in Medford, OR (about an hour drive from where I live). They even carry Orange Wood Chunks.

Back