When you don't have time for making rub, sauce.....

Scott H.

TVWBB Member
What do some of you find good as far as store bought rubs and sauces? I like to play around with making rubs and I love the No. 5 sauce, but I still go to ready-made stuff on occasion.
As for me, my favorite rub for pork is McCormick Pork Rub in the little plastic jars- makes a tremendous bark on butts. I still haven't found a brisket rub that I'm happy with. And sauce, I would have to say I've never found anything better than Head Country Original.
What about you?

I make my rubs, haven't bought a store brand yet. For sauce I like Sweet Baby Ray's. I have made my owen and it was good but it's more expensive to make it.

I made my own rub for my first brisket using the all purpose rub in the bbq chicken recipe,but everyone said there was too much pepper. As far as store bought,I like Subbs BBQ rub,both the bbq and the chile-lime. Real good flavor from both of those. For sauces,I have a couple of personal favorite I make from time to time. Store bought,I was given some Sticky Fingers for christmas. Very tasty!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott H.:
What do some of you find good as far as store bought rubs and sauces? I still haven't found a brisket rub that I'm happy with. And sauce, I would have to say I've never found anything better than Head Country Original.
What about you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
For brisket rub, there's only one I use. Texas BBQ Rub Brisket Blend.
Sauce, Head Country Original is my favorite. Sweet Baby Rays, Bone Suckin, and Blues Hog are good too.

I have used, and liked, Texas BBQ Rub (both original and brisket blend). Lately I have been using Wolfe Rub (both original and bold), and I like the results. As for sauce, I like Sweet Baby Ray's for ribs; for pulled pork I generally use an Eastern NC style vinegar based sauce, and it's so quick and easy to mix up that I never buy any.

Thanks for all the brisket rub suggestions, I'm gonna start looking at some of these. If I find a winner (or two), that will give me a good starting point for my own creations, which I am not too happy with yet. I think it's because I grew up in the Central Texas area and got used to brisket rubs that are really heavy on the black pepper like all the famous places in Lockhart, Taylor, etc. use, yet I haven't found that perfect blend on my own.

Back