When to turn pork roast

WillBurd

Cooking a small (4lb after trimming excess fat) roast. So I figure 7-8 hours cooking time, about how long should I let it go before turning it over?

I don't usually turn roasts. What kind of roast is it?

Hello Bob, a pork shoulder roast was planning on making pulled pork with it so I slathered it up with mustard and rub.

Been on about 4 hours now which should be should midway through and I'd figured I should probably turn it maybe after 5.5-6 hrs. but if there's no need I'll leave it be.

Depends if you went fat-cap up or down. I go FC down the whole cook, but some who go up flip it mid-way to crisp it.

Tim

If you're not going to turn it over, fat side down works better in a wsm. I never flip meat if I have something on both grates, but sometimes I flip to fat side up for the last third of the cook or so if cooking only on the top grate and the weather is cloudy or breezy.

Thanks for the tips.

I was a bit worried about getting too hot so I probably kept the vents shut more than needed and the temp stayed closer to 225 for the majority of the time.

I wound up with a nice smoke ring but no bark to speak of. Next time I won't worry so much about the temps and see what happens.

Thanks for the tips.

I was a bit worried about getting too hot so I probably kept the vents shut more than needed and the temp stayed closer to 225 for the majority of the time.

I wound up with a nice smoke ring but no bark to speak of. Next time I won't worry so much about the temps and see what happens.

My smoker settles around 245-265 anywhere in those temps I'm happy. In my wsm top vent fully opened. Bottom vents 1 fully closed 1 vent 1/2 open 1 vent 1/4 vent open.

Back