When To Salt Burgers

Kenji over at the Serious Eats Food Lab has written about this. He has pictures that show the difference in texture of the meat, depending in when it is salted. http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/12/the-burger-lab-salting-ground-beef.html

Salted just before cooking = loose, tender meat
20091211-salting-meat-unsalted-sliced-front.jpg

Salted before making patties = sausage-like texture
20091211-salting-meat-salted-sliced-front.jpg

I've posted this before, but it seems the topic is like politics or religion to some folks. They will insist on mixing in the salt before making patties, and they mightily resist any suggestion that their approach may have any flaw. They'll even attack the photos as some sort of trickery. Very strange.

I read that when it was first published.
Ultimate results are all in the technique, in my experience, pre-salting is not a problem if you salt lightly, don't over mix and cook immediately.
I've cooked burgers for over 35 years and I've never had one look anything like the second burger!

~Martin

About 3 months ago I unintentionally experimented by salting some burgers (just on the outside, not mixed in) and then waiting 3 days before grilling them.

BurgersSalted3Days201220120910_5.jpg

The texture was most definitely sausage-like but the flavor was just fine.

Last edited:
I usually salt outside right before a cook, but occasionaly i'll mix some ground chuck with Weber Gourmet Burger seasoning and freeze a few patties. I've never noticed much difference texture wise, but the pictures are compelling. Interesting thread for sure!

Back