When looking for a used grill to rebuild....

MikeSid

TVWBB Member
When looking for a used grill to rebuild/refurbish what are the top things that you look for on the grill? What are your deal-breakers. If the side panel with the knobs is faded can that be fixed? I'm trying to find another grill to use while I fix up my current one. There is this grill being offered near me, Genesis Silver C for $100.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/769199947/

That looks like a very nice candidate but there is only the one photo. If the whole grill looks as good as that photo I would offer $75 and if taken run like hell with my new treasure

That looks like a very nice candidate but there is only the one photo. If the whole grill looks as good as that photo I would offer $75 and if taken run like hell with my new treasure

Ok, $75 closed the deal! I will pick up in a few hours. He said inside decent and worked great, hopefully . Thanks again for the tip!

The things I look for are:

1. Rust on the left hand side crossbar where the firebox bolts to the frame
2. Condition of the sliders on the bottom of the firebox where the drip tray slides in and out
3. Condition of the hood itself, there are black hoods that have unrestoreable fading, but I have never had a black lid

The rest of the stuff is incidental to me, as I would want to put in new burners and flavorizers, and especially new grates. You might be looking for something closer to being usable. That first grill you picked up is a beauty, and even at $100 I would say you got a good deal on it.

Slainte!

Tim

I think I have someone new in South Florida who will be beating me to the grills that pop up! My wife will be MOST HAPPY!

Looks like a pretty fair deal really. The thing I think I would look most closely at is the condition of the firebox, followed by the frame, guts can all be replaced.
Good firebox is number one!

Everyone made great points. When you get it home and start taking it apart, you may find some hiccups. Just post pictures and the TVWBB community will help you get this bad boy fixed up and looking and cooking good.

On the 300 grills a dealbreaker would be a rusted out floorpan-
fCzFLq6.jpg

Or..... it might just be a protective layer of grease :)
7YnwmlV.jpg

Yeah, that one doesn’t look like a lost cause at all; maybe the grease helped protect it. I have seen some real losers and even taken home a free one that was toast.

lkuP4js.jpg

zhcRTbj.jpg

bfUtoJc.jpg

vCvRVpY.jpg

Last edited:

Back