When life hands you deceptively-labeled rib products...

Sean H

TVWBB Pro
...throw them on the smoker anyway.

My GF picked up what she thought was spare ribs from BJs. When I went to pull them from the package to prep for cooking, I noticed the fine print that read "flap meat" on the price tag. The manufacturer label was completely different, reading "brisket bones." After doing a bit of research, I found that this is where rib tips come from. So not to worry, I made do, cutting them into manageable pieces and putting them all on the WSM. Here are the burgeoning rib tips, rubbed up with a rub I made up on the fly:

gSlqgib.jpg

Many hours later, they were ready. I sauced them with some Sticky Fingers Memphis Style sauce, let the sauce set on the smoker, and pulled them. A couple of the whole pieces, ready for cutting:

TsvHUxv.jpg

And the obligatory plated shot, with some beet greens, fresh cut fries, and a hunk of cornbread:

l1scXCl.jpg

While I'd had my heart set on making/eating ribs, and I wasn't exactly well-versed in cooking the tips on their own, I applied what I know and it turned out pretty dang good. The moral of the story: just toss it on the smoker, and good things will happen.

Great use of something that could throw a lot of people into a tailspin. I might have to look for this cut. I love me some rib tips.

Sean - way to adapt and overcome dude! Those would be at home on our table any day. Never underestimate the magic that can happen in a smoker...

Regards,

John

Looks great Sean....I've had some BBQ like that from some road side pits in the Hill District and Wilkensburg... They all tasted great!

I actually know someone that woulda chopped them up out of the package & tossed 'em in a blender.

Sean, you Win! (Cliff, Rich... who is Steve?)

Last time I did ribs I saw a bunch of packages of rib tips and they were the same price as spares. Any way some people like the rib ribs better than they like the spares. They look really good, love that plated shot!!

Back