Wheel options for Genesis 1100

KTyler

TVWBB Member
I'm in the middle of restoring an old Genesis 1100 that needs some new wheels. I can get the 8" standard weber wheels that came on it from Amazon, but I was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions or links for other options. I'd like to use something a little more sturdy than the standard wheels if possible, either Weber or some other aftermarket brand would be fine. Has anybody here used anything they liked? Bonus points if you have pictures - thanks in advance!

Just remember any increase in size has to be met with a corresponding increase in caster size

I have always used Weber wheels. I agree they aren't the most impressive. I would think you could find 8" wheels that are more rugged, but they have to be able to fit easily (width, axle size) or it probably wouldn't be worth all the adaptions you would need to make.

I have always used Weber wheels. I agree they aren't the most impressive. I would think you could find 8" wheels that are more rugged, but they have to be able to fit easily (width, axle size) or it probably wouldn't be worth all the adaptions you would need to make.
That's my challenge - anything I've found that's not Weber would take some modification. I'm looking at the wheels that come on the 26" kettle and wondering if those might work better. They seem to be a little heavier duty. Part of my concern is that I added about 40lbs+ to the weight of the grill with the rcplanebuyer grates and flavorizers, and I will have to move the grill often. Those older style wheels are easily replaceable though if needed...

I have RCP grates and flavo bars on my Genesis 1000 with a bunch of crap stored in the wire rack below. I find no problem with the OEM wheels. In fact, most of the grills I pick up for rehab don't have any problem with the larger wheels, it is the caster wheels that are usually broken or frozen. The only real issue with the larger wheels is that the white wall ring seems to deteriorate fairly quickly. But functional wise, they are pretty durable.

I agree with Bruce. I have a Platinum C with closed cabinet, wood floor, RCP grates and lots of stuff in the cabinet such as cast iron griddles, tools, .. My grill is really heavy. No issue with the larger 8" wheels however. They are sturdy. It is really the 2' or 2.5" caster wheels which are the ones going bad.

I just bought a pair of the Weber wheels and the least expensive place to get them is directly from Weber.

My 1998 genesis 1000 cart still has it's original wheels which are working fine. The cart itself has been converted to a WSM cart with a side burner and thick tile work top, much heavier than the original Weber 1000 that was in it.

My grill is 1993 with original wheels. I would just find a pair off another grill if I wanted them replaced unless you are simply going for that perfect rehab look.

I went ahead and bought new wheels from Weber. Seems the consensus is that they are strong enough even if they seem flimsy! This is a complete strip down and rebuild from scratch, everything from the manifold has been completely gone through and rebuilt so I'm going for top quality. Looking forward to posting some pics here when it's all done!

KT: Please make sure you take some before, during and after photos for your build thread.

Back