What's under your WSM?

Chad Bman

TVWBB All-Star
As in, what's it sitting on when in use? Reason I ask - I'll have mine on our stamped & colored concrete patio.
In a way I kinda don't want anything under it (ascetics & in case of 'fade' spots) but I don't want to stain/discolor the patio.
Thought about a grill mat, water heater pan, & doing nothing. Wondering what ya'll use?

Nothing. Two years and no problems yet. :)
Erics%20cook%20043-L.jpg

I don't have anything under mine. Most of my food ends up in foil or a foil pan so there is much less mess. The messiest part is the transfer from table to smoker and back.

I went to Wally world in the automotive dept and got an oil drip pan that is 4x2'. Saw the idea from others on here and it works great. Cost $11 but I think you can find them for $9. Gives me something to set the starter can on when lighting coals

I'll have mine on our stamped & colored concrete patio.

Me, too.

I've used an undercar oil drip pan since 1997. There have been plenty of times I was glad it was there. It's a large size one, so it gives me someplace to put down the lid or to lift off and set the middle cooking section. It catches ashes and the rare but occasional greasy drip that comes out of one of the bottom vents.

After use, I store it on edge against the fence and off the patio, so no aesthetic or fade/stain/discolor issues you refer to.

Regards,
Chris

I use a metal drip pan, too. It works great, and stores easily. It is just big enough to allow me to set the middle section on the drip pan when I'm unloading or shuffling meat and/or restocking the fire.

One thing I've learned though: setting a full chimney starter on it will make it hot enough to discolor the metal, and it also melted the plastic decking underneath. So now I rely on it to catch hot charcoal and drips, etc., but if I use a hot chimney to add hot coals, I set the chimney on a brick or piece of scrap stone.

I've got a mud flap off a dump truck under mine (plain side up) heavy duty and it looks like a mat. My patio is red brick pavers. I usually put the chimney on the smoky joe just so there's no issues
thanksgiving%202012
[/URL][/IMG]

I have a pieces of pressure treated plywood under my charcoal cookers. When I cook, I put grill mats in front of them, over where I work.

I used a water heater pan until I got too many smokers, then just moved them to my pit area where it is concrete and stains make no difference.

I used a water heater pan until I got too many smokers, then just moved them to my pit area where it is concrete and stains make no difference.

I have mine on a block pad built next to the deck. HD and Lowes carry large square decorative pavers in 12-15" square that work well also to protect wood decks or decorative patios. Cost more than the oil pans and mats but keep things looking more in tune with all the rest of the deck...I`m planning on extending mine out along one side of my deck area to hold all my gas grills, Weber kettle and now smoker.

I have mine on a block pad built next to the deck. HD and Lowes carry large square decorative pavers in 12-15" square that work well also to protect wood decks or decorative patios. Cost more than the oil pans and mats but keep things looking more in tune with all the rest of the deck...I`m planning on extending mine out along one side of my deck area to hold all my gas grills, Weber kettle and now smoker.

The water heater pans and oil pans aren't attractive, that's for sure.

Cheap grill mat on Amazon outlet store...

I saw this on Amazon outlet this am and if your not picky about the sports team of INDIANA Hoosiers on it they are cheap..30x48 mat for 9.21 and free shipping if over 25.00. Save about10-20.00 .. Im not sure if TVWBB site gets credit for buying this through their link but if they do even better :)

I may buy one just to sit my lid and sections on when using the smoker to keep from chipping the bottom edges on my brick pavers. When done just roll it up and throw it in the shed...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002RL7ZH6/thevirtualweberb

12/9 Price back up to 24.99.....sale over....

Last edited:
$35 grill pad from Lowes, HD, etc. Can be moved, stored, or left in place as you will. Concete-impregnated, so fire-proof no worries about heat, stains, etc. Fully protects my wood deck.

Concrete WILL stain -- no matter how colored or sealed (been there, done that). Don't believe me? Give it time.

Rich

Im not sure if TVWBB site gets credit for buying this through their link but if they do even better :)

Virtually everything you purchase from Amazon helps support TVWBB. Just click the Amazon link on the homepage before adding items to your cart.

ThankQ!
Chris

Virtually everything you purchase from Amazon helps support TVWBB. Just click the Amazon link on the homepage before adding items to your cart.

ThankQ!
Chris

Better yet, copy the link to your favorites or bookmarks and ALWAYS have it come up when you shop at Amazon. Mine got copied to my Android tablet and faithfully displays "...&tag=thevirtualweberb..." every time I shop Amazon. If I don't see it, I stop the buy, relink my bookmark and continue the purchase. Very minor habit to develop that -- looking at the Amazon URL to be sure you have the TVWBB link.

Rich

Back