What's the deal with FaceBook Marketplace $20 shipping????

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have to ask and see if anyone here has ever tried the "shipping" option on FaceBook Marketplace. I have done it for a couple small items and for one small boat grill. But I routinely see full-size grills - classics and newer ones - with crazy low shipping prices. There's no way they can ship something like this for 5 or even 10X that amount, and HOW would they ship something like a full size Genesis II grill?

Here's a good example:

What do you all make of these listings?

Jon, I have just dismissed those listings as mistakes or whatever. I have wondered about it too, but never enough to really dive in and find out the specifics. For one thing, I would never buy a used grill for hundreds of dollars off a site like FB MP. Second, I guess I just keep hearing "If it looks too good to be true, it must be too good to be true".
So, you have bought some stuff off FB MP and had it shipped? Did it work out well for you in the end?
Now, when I go to FB MP, I just click the Local button automatically and don't bother with the "Shipping" listings.

Yes, I had a Broilmaster rotisserie setup for my antique double-grill shipped to me perfectly and I had a Magma grill which is about the size of a Smoky Joe shipped. If I recall the shipping on that small grill was MORE than $20. But I see full size grills like the one I posted above all the time with a $20 shipping price. My curiosity finally got to me so I have messaged a different seller with a green 300 series grill. I will report back if I hear from them. My guess is that people list these things on FB Marketplace and check a box without realizing the implications of doing that.

Jon, that is what I was thinking as well. But, I don't even remember seeing a box to check for that when I list stuff. No way someone is going to ship a 200 lb grill for $20.

The shipping thing on Facebook is bizarre. Try looking for firewood and I get people all over the country. There's no way they'll send me a rick for 3 dollars shipping. I sold a smoker on there and it kept hounding me to offer shipping.

Last edited:
I think you're probably right, they just check a box without paying attention to what it says.
The Marketplace's search engine is ridiculous too. Put in Weber grill, and every damn grill listed shows up.
A real oddity, to me, is it seems like 95% of sellers joined FB in 2009.
The other day I saw an ad for "Grape Jelly and Accessories." The pic was of a jar of jelly on top of a box of 7.62x39mm ammo. Wonder what other clandestine items get sold there.

It's Facebook trying to compete with EBay. If you list something on Marketplace it keeps defaulting to "off shipping" and if you don't pay attention your item is now exposed to markets you have no intention of trying to reach

I definitely think it is a shame that FB is taking over this arena. OfferUp has a much better search and photo display system, but it can't compete with FB juggernaut. OfferUp was actually very busy where I used to live in South Florida, but here in Indiana it has failed to catch on at all.

Bob, if you omit "Grill" from your searches and just use "Weber" you will get better results.

I agree, FB MP is getting a lot worse. Especially with advertising. It used to be a lot more clean cut. But it became so popular that FB could not resist monetizing that part of it as well. I think that unless you live in a densely populated area, most of the other sale sites are useless. There is absolutely nothing on Offerup in my area. Even a wide search provides nothing on a "Weber" search except for the same grill lights that have been on there since I first downloaded the app three years ago.
I thought Craigslist was going to get crushed by FB MP, but it is still doing pretty well. I think it is most popular by older adults. Middle aged and up.
One that seems good in metro areas is the Nextdoor web site. It groups people by local areas (communities). Kind of like buy/sell groups on FB, but with a more personal and civilized feel. My sister is on one in MPLS and there is a lot of local news to her neighborhood being discussed on it all the time and people use it to sell and offer their stuff for free on it.

I heard back from the guy with the green 300 series grill. He said he had no idea how that shipping got on there but that he was getting inquiries from all over! He said he was older and not too into computers. FB really needs to improve Marketplace! :rolleyes:

Yah, I bet half the listings with shipping options are not intended. Just causing a lot of confusion and frustration for users.

Back