What's the coldest (outside temp) you've ever cooked?

Mary M

TVWBB Fan
It's cold enough to freeze anatomical parts off a brass monkey here in New England...and I have a need to smoke. I'm not sure it's a great idea, though (we're talking as low as double digits below zero at night). What's the coldest sustained temps you've ever successfully done a cook at? Will I be asking for trouble if I try an overnight cook at these temps?

TIA,

Personally, 10º. But, don't let the cold stop you ~ Check out Dan Gilson's post.
icon_eek.gif

Mary,

The coldest temps I have cooked in are -35 to -40. I did have help though. I used a Stoker and built a jacket to insulate my WSM.

Smoking in the cold: http://usera.imagecave.com/3-Dogs_BBQ/Smokin_in_the_Cold/7Jan0714.jpg

This time was a little warmer: http://usera.imagecave.com/3-Dogs_BBQ/15_Jan_07/PICT0070-copy.jpg

I don't think you will have any trouble with an overnight cook as long as things are all stablized and there is plenty of fuel. BTW, I use lump charcoal and don't have any problems.

I will be cooking chicken and ribs this weekend but the the forecast is for 10-15 degrees on the upper side of 0!! Heat Wave!!

Good luck to ya!! Let us know how it turns out!!

I've cooked in temps of -5 F, with -35 Degree wind chill. Some of the best briskets I've ever made. The temp won't hurt, well won't hurt the smoker at least, it's the wind you need to watch out for. If it's going to be at all windy make sure you have a good wind block set up.

I've cooked in close to zero temps, but winds will hurt you more than low temps. This is how I snug my WSMs down for an evening cook - these are $19 hot water tank blankets from Home Depot. I found that you don't have to cut the air vents in them. I just unroll, wrap around the WSM, clip the edges near the top and across the top with clothespins, and it works great. Just roll 'em back up when you're through. Easy to take the clothespins off to check the cooker, too.

keri.jpg

I've cooked in something like 5-10 degree weather. And also in a huge blizzard. But holy cow, I thought that was pretty good until I saw Dan's post. -40 below?????? Does life exist at that temperature?

Well, at least we've proven man can smoke on Neptune.

I've done +15F overnight a couple times at 4300 ft. above sea level, and I have to empty the charcoal chamber halfway through the cook on a 16+ hr run. It takes me about an entire 20lb bag of kingsford. Anyone else have an experience similar to mine? I have no insulation for my wsm right now.

Done butt's at -15 last winter. We're in a cold snap now...Thursday I grilled at -5...It's -6 now, and I'm headed to the store soon to get some thighs.
bonk.gif

Once spent an interesting day bbqing 200 chicken breasts for the students for school lunch (I use to do this every week). It got down to -13F which was cold as I had to keep coming in and out of the building in shirt sleeves.

Since the time when I purchased my WSM, I'm sure that the temperatures have dipped into the upper 40's on cook day. Let me tell you, it's rough when you have to wear long sleeve shirts
icon_wink.gif
. You have a lot of quiet and solitude on days like that because it's just too cold for any neighbors to be outside
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I did a picnic here in DC at 32 degrees a few weeks ago (it just doesn't get as cold here as it does in, say, North Pole, Alaska!). I used a little more charcoal than in warm weather but this not a problem. As noted above, the big issue is wind. As long as it is not windy, you can smoke when it is cold with ease. If windy, you will need a windbreak.
I'd add that if you get snow or rain when smoking, keep the rain/snow off the smoker as it will cool it. I have a large umbrella that normally goes in the middle of my outdoor table but I put it over the smoker if there is rain or snow and it works great.
If it is really cold - and I am not sure exactly what "really cold" is - you will need to wrap it with a heating blanket. Otherwise, just be sure to have some extra charcoal handy.

Well, that's all most encouraging. I do need to build a proper windbreak at some point, but I will try the water heater blanket for this week's cook. It shouldn't be that bad -- word is we're going to get into the double digits above zero this week!

-12. Started a brisket at 4:30 am one cold morning. No wind or there would have been trouble. I find that the cold is not a problem, but rather the wind. Also, out here (in Colo) the air is so dry that on cold days the water pan needs nearly continuous filling.

Back