What's the coldest (outside temp) you've ever cooked?

WOW! I'm really impressed! You guy's are tough. I'm gonna get a rack or three on the WSM this weekend. I been really wanting some Q lately. Thanks for the inspiration............

It's all about the wind for me.. Here in mid-Illinois, I cook all year at most any temp. Planning to run 2 Bullets overnight Feb. 2nd. for Super Bowl goodies. Forecast is zero. I just plan to make sure I have extra lump, and use hot water in the pans.

HEY JIMMY!! Welcome aboard!!! Hope to see you posting around here a little more often, you've got lots of great advice!!!

Thought you just set up in a barn on these cold Feb. days.

One final comment, the guy's beard in the picture isn't quite long enough now is it?

GO BEARS!!!!!

BTW - Im cooking butts and briskets, but I'm getting the "mini-log" burner out for that

I plan to smoke up a nice pork butt and a couple racks of baby backs this Saturday night in Omaha. Forecasted low is -3. I have reviewed the valuable infomation here and have purchased extra charcoal and some reflective heat shield insulation. Cold weather? Bring it on!!!

Lowest temp was 62 degrees couple weeks ago at night. I was doing 2 pork butts. Came out really good!

Aloha,

Greg

We'll it looks like it will be this weekend here in the Chicago area somewhere in the low teens. Need to smoke ribs and a brisket on Saturday to get things ready for the superbowl party watching Da Bears win the Superbowl.

Mike
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Jim, Joe, or M. Chesney-
Here about 3 hrs west of you M. Chesney on the banks of the good ol' Mississippi, our forecasted temperatures for Sunday are 5 with a windchill of -15. I'm sure its doable but I've never smoked in these conditions. Other than added fuel consumption is there any other suggestions?

Too bad today is a work day, or I would have tried to shatter my cold temp record: was -18 at Denver's airport this am. Oh well, signle digits will have to be the case on Sunday early am when brisket goes on for the big game.

Steve - thanks for the tip on the piedmont pan. Probably won't utilize it this weekend, but certainly will investigate.

Cheers to a great weekend for everyone

I smoked 30lbs of pork butts in 14-degrees + 15 mph winds last night. I used a water heater blanket and the unstlation got a little dark (almost looks burnt) in spots - is that common.

Also - is anyone using a Stoker in low temps? If so what do you do to protect it/keep it warm + snuggly? I also use a wireless WGA11B card and it kept dropping its wireless signal. I did not know if that was due to a malfunction due to cold.

BRRRRRRRRR
-Dave

My coldest will be today. It is -33 C (-27 F I think) with a wind chill of -43 C right now. There is a wind chill warning for today that it will be in the -40 to -50 range once the wind picks up.

It might take longer but it is still worth it.

Jay

Here in Chicago as I write this its between 0 and 5 degrees. Wind is about 80 mph, give or take. I have to smoke some ribs for the Bears Championship. Wind is a problem. I have a quick easy solution that is working great. I have a wardrobe moving box that fits perfectly. With being able to open and close the top of the wardrobe box I'm able to still control temp pretty easily. Cheap as well. I may open a side to make access a bit easier but for now its working. Using bricks to hold the box down and steady. Gonna have a good smelling box as well.............

Ten friggin' degrees and I am having trouble keeping the VWB at 230 where I like to smoke. It keeps creeping up to 250 or higher. Removed the Reflective and have a cardboard box windshield. I had no idea it would be a problem trying to get the temperature DOWN!!!!

When all is said and done, the VWB is like an oven. I ditched the Reflective wrap and the homemade windbreak and let the Bullet run like it was a 90 degree summer day. For ten hours it sat in temps that never got above 10 degrees and it performed like a champion. The last hour, after stirring the coals, saw temps as high as 280 for a short period. The ribs were moist and tender, pulling off the bone with just the right resistance. The pork was pulled and into the crock pot for the big game today.

I think today is my record low, right now it is 11 F w/ a bit of a wind. It is colder than a weldigger's #&% out. But a REAL BBQer does not mind the element in the endless pursuit of the ultimate smoke.

Did six butts this weekend on the WSM. Temp 15 degrees. Got up at 4 AM to check on the meat. WSM was chugging away. One butt was done and had to pull it off. Of course it was on the bottom grate. Had PB for breakfast. Good way to start the day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Kemp:
Lowest temp was 62 degrees couple weeks ago at night. I was doing 2 pork butts. Came out really good!

Aloha,

Greg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

During the cold spell, did you use a hot water insulator to keep the cooker warm?
icon_razz.gif

Back