What's everyone cooking for Memorial Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Etheridge

TVWBB Super Fan
Well, it's finally here. The first big grilling/Q'ing weekend of the year. The weekend that officially starts the 'grilling season' (although all of us here know better).

Soooo, what's cooking for this weekend?

For me it starts with about 8lbs of large to jumbo shrimp...boiled, grilled, & fried. Then I plan to throw a butt on the WSM and top it off (not literally) with a beer can chicken. Yuuuummmm, yum.
---------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Yes! It is here and I think I'm prepared however that shrimp does sound good. I have invited family over so I have a 14lb. brisket 3 slabs of spares and three turkey legs and brats that will go on the(Grillie, my daughters have named my cookers) WSM. My wife wants me to do jerk chicken which I will do on the the ole Webber(Hawkeye) kettle. Everyone have great and safe Memorial Day and good Q'in.

Chach

An overnighter Saturday night with 4 pork butts finishing Sunday and reheating on Monday. Then ribs on Monday. Baked beans and potato salad for sides, washed down with some adult beverages.

I've got a brisket going right now for today. Then I'm out of town for the weekend where coincidentally my friend nas a WSM (cuz I made her buy it), so maybe she'll want me to whip up something fun if there isn't alot of brisket left. I sure hope so! I'm in a smoking mood.

I BBQed all last weekend, 4 butts and 4 slabs o spares...I'll probably just grill some fish this weekend. My wife is about "BBQed out" for awhile. Does that ever happen to you?!

Finally found a full size brisket in Bham. That will be on the bottom with two butts on top for a Sat night/ Sunday cook. Going to try pecan wood this time.

Hopefully the rain will push through by lunch time tomorrow.

Im doing a bunch of spares and a beer can chicken. Yeah the wife does tell me to take a break from BBQ every once in a while. If it were up to me Id be smoking every weekend.

Sunday is my son's 4th birthday. He has requested BBQ ribs for dinner! A regular chip off the ol' block.

Plus I'm thinking of trying a few recipes that look interesting:

Baked Stuffed Brie (baked in the BBQ)

Thai BBQ Chicken Appetizers

Pork Satay

Trying spares for the first time. I have done numerous BB's, but I couldn't resist a 97?/lb sale at my local Vons on spares. Bought a case (10 lb).

I may do some beer can chickens as well depending on how many of my friends decide to come over.

So, I lost a bet with fellow TVWB forum member Rick Jones over Iron Chef. I picked Sakai and Flay won. @^$^@@^$!!

So tomorrow, I owe Rick and his family a complete BBQ dinner, with sides, all home made.

Rick and his wife have generously volunteered to do salad and dessert as well as beer.

Here's what I'm bringing.

- 3 racks of babybacks.
- 2 tri-tips. I'll do a red wine reduction sauce for them, too.
- seared Ahi tuna
- garlic mashed potatoes
- fresh asapragus
- maybe even some roasted beets. Not sure they like those, but I love them so we're having them.

That's saturday.

Then my wife wants a brisket for the weekend, so I'll do an overnight on Saturday night after the feast. Heck, maybe I'll do a butt, too.

So yeah, lots of cooking this weekend.

This weekend is my son's first birthday, and we're also hosting a warming at our new homestead. I'll be cooking a brisket, a butt and a turkey breast.

The new house, move and resultant chores have really put a damper on my Q'ing. I can't wait to fire the WSM up this weekend...

--Rob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob McDade:
[qb] This weekend is my son's first birthday, and we're also hosting a warming at our new homestead. I'll be cooking a brisket, a butt and a turkey breast.

The new house, move and resultant chores have really put a damper on my Q'ing. I can't wait to fire the WSM up this weekend...

--Rob [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I hear ya there..we just bought a new home and are in the process of fixing her up a bit before we move in..putting a dent in my Q'ing also..

In between installing wood floors this weekend, I am hoping to get a few racks of ribs on the WSM.

I have been thinking about something I saw last time I was at the butchers.

A nice pair of 1-3/4 pound (each) porterhouse steaks.

Picking up a 75# whole hog today to smoke tomorrow. And no, this won't be cooked on my WSM! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back