What's everyone cooking for Memorial Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rick

My son is finishing a medical fellowship at Duke and I visited him in Hillsborough often during the last 3 years. I noticed a few cookers that were referred to as "pig cookers". These looked like they were fueled by propane with a burner running along the inside edge of the rectangular cooker. Is that what's used for whole pigs ?

Paul

I'm having some friends over for a retirement celebration for my partner in "Bill's Grill". After 27 years of service to Sprint he can finally take it easy and spend more time grilling. We are heating up some butts that I have in the freezer. We are also doing some beef back ribs and some polish sausage. Something for everyone that way.
Bill The Grill Guy

Cooking some beef and pork ribs. Gonna use the same rub, smoke, etc. on them to see what the taste differences are.

Oh, by some recommendations on this board, I'm going to finish half of them with sauce on high heat (open the vents and remove the door) to kinds crisp them up just a bit.

I just went out and bought an 8 lb. Pork Butt (Mr. Brown), 3 lbs. of Beer Brats, a rack of baby backs for snacking and I'm considering doing a beer can chicken. I'll probably cut the ribs into three sections and try a few new rubs on each. Can't forget the creamy cole slaw and cheese stuffed tomatoes.

2 slabs of spares on Saturday, and 29 lbs of Pork Butt on Sunday.

Paul-

The style of pig cooker sounds about the same, however, mine is a charcoal cooker. It is made out of an old heating oil drum. Even for long cooks on a whole hog where gas seems like it would be so convenient, I just can't make myself use it!

And by the way, that pig turned out great! Even though we had about 2 inches of rain in about 2 hours during the cook...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back