What's cooking this weekend...

I agree Bill. It will be pretty hard to get the meat done at those temps.

Wish we had a pic of you with your candle checking the smoker.:p

I plan on cooking some spares and butt chunks tomorrow.

Bill S. & Bob,
When I say 205-215 that is WSM dome temp reading. It is my understanding actual grate temp will be 30-40dg higher???

I have not invested in a remote external temp gage yet.

Bill S., hope you don't mind me jumping in on your post. I greatly overestimated my cooking time. My brisket is already in foil in a cooler and I got the point back on the smoker for burnt ends. I over slept and When I got up this morning my WSM dome temp read 240dg so lord only knows how hot the grate was. Most of the water in the pan had evaporated. I sure hope I didn't ruin it. My meat thermometer went into the flat pretty stiff and it read 192dg so I took it off.

I think I should restrict my posts to the new members area as I still don't know what I'm doing but have fun trying/learning. Good cooks wished for everyone....looks like a lot of butts & briskest being smoked today.

Best of luck on the briskets everyone. Curious how the walmart brisket turnsout, have not thought to check for them there. They only carry flats at my costco and the one's from the butcher are not cheap so I've avoided them.

About to put a rack of baby backs on the mini myself.

Bill S. & Bob,
When I say 205-215 that is WSM dome temp reading. It is my understanding actual grate temp will be 30-40dg higher???

Actually you have that backwards Dan. It's hotter at the dome than the grate. A 250 dome temp is the pretty standard temp for most cooks. Post your questions here too. That's how you learn. Had plenty of help from here when I was just starting out.

Gettin there..

8372678053_9ac555b149_b.jpg

Breaking in my new Char-Broil "The Big Easy" Oil-less Turkey Fryer. Had a gift card from HD for X-mas and they have them marked down from $99.99 to $79.99.
I used the Wally-world packers before, always select/no roll and I always went the HH route and they came out great.. never tried doing em low&slow tho.

Tim

Cooking two butts for the local Women's Shelter, Safe To Sleep, and three slabs baby backs for us. Butts on now and ribs in a couple hours.

I'm doing three whole free range chickens from Whole Foods. Marinated them with garlic, vinegar, and salt. Never done whole chickens before (just pieces.)

I am doing a 6lb brisket flat today. I injected and marinated it last night, rubbed it down this morning, and got it on my WSM 18.5 a little before 8am. I just pulled it to wrap at 160 and put it back on the smoker. I am using Myron's rub and injection, but cooking a little slower than he does. The pic below is just before I put it on the smoker.

2013-01-12%2007.37.28.jpg

Wasn't too bad...I think it could have used more rub. Juicy though. Pulled at 190, the highest I've ever let one go. Small end of the flat was a tad dry but not bad.

8374772104_d2d88fd831_b.jpg

8374772590_a7ab6a569b_b.jpg

8374773794_16c0549beb_b.jpg

8373701127_62fe495977_b.jpg

8374841208_aacacce0e5_b.jpg

Just put the ends back in for another half hour or so.....Weren't quite there yet.

Last edited:
I have found the brisket at Sam's Club are choice grade while the ones at Wal Mart are select. Not sure if this is a huge difference in the final product. The one brisket I did was from Sam's and was cooked overnight and was really tender and juicy. Temp ran a solid 275 all night and after 14 hours the internal temp was 195. Foiled and put in a small cooler for 4 hours. When it came out it was perfect.

I've done several briskets from Walmart without any issues. They do tend to have smaller ones available there. I have done a couple of Choice briskets from other stores when I catch them on sale and they have been excellent, but the Select or ungraded ones have been good too, just not quite as good. If you have Smart & Final in your areas, that is a good place to get Choice briskets in the bigger cuts (14-16 lb packers). Last time I bought one there it was around $2.50/lb. Good looking brisket and burnt ends Bill!

Bill your photos are mouthwatering, great cook! I take it you did not foil the brisket is that correct?

Thanks Gary,Ethan,D. Yea no foil. 9 pounder was done in 10 hours at a pretty steady 250, pulled at 190 which was a high for me. I usually do 170-180. One thing I still can't do though is separate the point from the flat without butchering it...lol. I'm terrible at it. Then I started slicing the point too thin for "ends". Caught myself in time though before I did the whole point that way. Doh!:confused:

Last edited:
Bill I begain cooking brisket last spring, did 7 last year. 3 LNS and 4 HH, foiled em all. Too afraid not to. I have gone from virtually no trimming to separating the point before cooking. Gotta try what you did. Your brisket looks awesome and the bark must be out of this world.
Congratulations again.

Back