Whats cookin this weekend?

Dale Perry

TVWBB Guru
TGIF! What a week. I am going to cook 10 lbs of leg & thigh quarters that have been thawing out for 2 days Saturday night. Probably going to do them on the kettle. Might be doing some ribs Sunday since a local store has them for .99 cents a lb. The butcher told me that they just made a deal with a local sausage company to purchase all they want of these and that they can get them cheap. If they are any good I am going to be there #1 customer.
Oh yes.
DP

I'm doing around 50 lbs of home made beef sausage. I started the first batch at noon, I should be done by 2am or so.

Sunday I'm doing about 12 lbs of spares.

If I do anything it's going to be ribs. I didn't like my last ribs very well so I think I need to try again this weekend.

I did jerk chicken drumsticks on the kettle tonight, finished with mandarin orange jalapeno jelly (or is it habernero? don't recall!).

Tomorrow I'll start an overnight brisket and 2 butts cook. Might try the guru out again...!

Tri-Tip tonight, gonna give Keri C's apple brining a go on a chicken tomorrow, and last but not least a couple of Farmer John's finest butts on Sunday.

I put a 19 pound brisket at 8:30 last night, made one adjustment to vents an hour later. Had to sleep. It's now 6am and the pit is running at 235. Saw a post at Basso's forum where someone wants to know is the extra money for a WSM really worth it.
icon_wink.gif

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Saw a post at Basso's forum where someone wants to know is the extra money for a WSM really worth it.
icon_wink.gif

Jim <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Did you reply?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
I put a 19 pound brisket at 8:30 last night, made one adjustment to vents an hour later. Had to sleep. It's now 6am and the pit is running at 235. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jim, I'd appreciate the details of how you fired up your WSM.
Lump or briquettes?
Did you fill or overfill the ring?

Kevin
There was no need to reply it was covered well by others.

Charles
I filled (over filled) the firering with Kingsford and then lit a weedburner and applied heat unlit I had enough coals lit to do the job, took less than a minute to get that done. I used only one of the bottom vents to control the heat the others closed and the the top open. The cooker has been rock solid at 225 to 235. Stirred the coals a little at the 12 hour mark. Used apple pellets for smoke. The brisket was injected with Fab B and rub with my competition beef rub. Grandson turns 16 and hopefully he won't judge it to harshly.
icon_wink.gif

Jim

I did some pork tenders on the Smokey Joe last night. Quick marinade in Jim Beam, then rubbed with garlic, rosemary, salt and coarse ground pepper.
Doing ribs on the WSM now, and a beer can chicken tomorrow.
Still trying the think up the menu for the 500 next weekend.

Ribs from Smart and Final. Farmer Johns. Never tried that brand before so I hope they are good quality. I usually go to Costco but wasnt in the area.

Still trying to master the zen of foiling. Not too mushy but tender is the goal.

I've got a brisket ($4.58 a pound or more, ouch!) and two butts going. Trying the guru with the good neighbor feature successfully activated I think. Silver bullet jacket on because it's quite blustery out.

Just pulled off a small bottom round rubbed with NM chili, brown sugar, onion powder, allspice, and cinnamon. Cranking up the heat now to put on a turkey breast brined with a honey, sugar, ginger, galangal, peppercorns, and garlic. Round resting--went a bit longer than I wanted it to--had to run over to the coast to buy a new pick-up truck. Hope it's good.

Happy birthday to your grandson, Jim.

Susan, just got a guru but haven't tried it yet. The jerk drumsticks sound wonderful.

Ribs @ .99/lb? Dale--send me some!!

start with

6-8 cloves of garlic,
1 cup olive oil,
3/4 cup wostershire (sp?) sauce,
1/2 cup soy sauce,
1/4 cup lemon juice,
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
1 Tbsp black pepper or more. Grind in some fresh ground if you have it

Put it all in a food processor or blender and beat he** out of it for 2 to 4 minutes.

Soak the broil in it for 2 hours to 3 days, depending on your planning. What I have done lately is buy several pieces of meat when they are on sale, mix the marinade and seal the meat and marinade with the foodsaver, then freeze. Voila, marinaded london broil ready to go with an hour or two in cold water.

The freezing in marinade sort of came about from having to marinate in one place and cook the meat in another.

The bride likes ginger; I am not sure what it would do to this marinade. Just might give it a try. (Still have one in the freezer that is already soaking so it will be a few weeks. Gotta Q some before grilling again.)

Ginger's a natural foil for the soy sauce and garlic you've already got going on there---I do a very similar marinade for my London Broils, too, but always, always with ginger! Of course, we eat it with hot Chinese mustard (just the powdered mustard mixed with water---hot cha cha!)

Kevin---this guru cook is going much better now that I've decided to leave it alone and let it do its thing! (You know how when you first get your WSM you end up fiddling with it way too much, and eventually learn not to bother it so much and it works out better? Well, same with the guru! It seems to know what it's doing.)

I'm happy!

Back