What year is the Weber?

If you have the skills and tools, go with one more like the original. I did one for mine and it didn't come out perfect, but I am glad I took the time.

20170727 Weber Genesis 1000 Read Head - After (1).JPG

Thanks for all the input from everyone! I've got progress pics and questions still. The handle for the hood . . . I'm not sure of sure the OG style only because I'm not sure if I'll be able to accomplish the beveled insert or go for the solid handle?? I also thought about going with a Weathered grey stain to match the matte side panels, but went with American Oak to contrast and pop with the Ol' Red hood! I liked the matte contrast with the frame and it added a little difference from what I've seen. (What do you think...good or bad??)

Looks great. Wondering how / where you did the slats. Did you just pick 1 x 2" lumber? Or did you custom cut them to size?

Would you guys go with a solid hood handle or should I attempt to recreate the OG handle with slots?
Your original handle looks like it is in decent shape. I would sand and refinish it. If you need a new one, try craigslist. Before I was able to save my old handle, I reached out to a local woodworker I found on Craigslist. I can't remember what he was going to charge, but it was reasonable.

I do not like the look of the solid handle.

Another option is the old style handle light that pops up on ebay from time to time for about $25. Swap in some LEDs and you're set. Come in handy if you don't have outdoor lighting near your grill area.

There's a YT video on creating the handle with a router and a simple jig. Of course, you have to have a router, and if you don't it might be cheaper to pay a local woodworker.

You are welcome! I think doing something like this is within range of anyone with the desire (and a router!) Maybe practice on a piece of scrap first, or buy enough material to make two, and if it goes well you can sell or trade the extra one.

Your original handle looks like it is in decent shape. I would sand and refinish it. If you need a new one, try craigslist. Before I was able to save my old handle, I reached out to a local woodworker I found on Craigslist. I can't remember what he was going to charge, but it was reasonable.

I do not like the look of the solid handle.

Another option is the old style handle light that pops up on ebay from time to time for about $25. Swap in some LEDs and you're set. Come in handy if you don't have outdoor lighting near your grill area.

Yeah, the old handle is in decent shape, but is bowed towards the hood. Can't really see it in the pic. I think I'm going to attempt the plunge and beveled edges. Just gotta make that jig from that video

I am surprised at how H-O-T hot that handle gets...I can hardly touch mine after baking a potato for an hour. Keep that in mind when shopping for wood and wood finishing products.

That old style Weber handle light spaces the handle away from the lid, probably for durability. Heat, plastic, and batteries don't play well together.

Does anyone have a good place to find the end caps for the frame? I only have 1 and like to not leave the ends exposed. Thanks again for all the help as always!

I have a bunch, but they are still in Florida awaiting me going there to get all my grill projects and parts. I suggest you ask Bruce if he has any to spare.

I finally attempted my handles for the hood and made a jig. I don't own a plunge router, but a trim router. My hands were a little shaky at times on dropping down and have some marks on the inside. Overall, I think they came out great. I need to sand, stain, and attach. OG handle is the Weathered grey. I've got 3 of the same grills I've been able to find. All red, but picked up a green hood for free!

Attachments

• 20200824_230102.jpg
    20200824_230102.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 18
Oh, yeah, I'd be more than happy with that! Job well done, Pete TX!

EDIT: 3? You could sell the other 2, easy, I think, but smart move!

Old Red is done. It's not a full restoration, but I like the way it turned out. I kept a lot of OG pieces and hardware, added a fresh of Ultra on the frame, used the matte finish on the box, American Oak on the cedar slats.

Now here's the main thing, what would something like this sell for??? I added new flavorizer bars, the burners are original, grates need to be re-seasoned, I even taped off the tank level sticker and painted around it. Lol. It could use some cleaning on the control panel.

Attachments

• 20200828_150839.jpg
    20200828_150839.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200828_150850.jpg
    20200828_150850.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200828_152238.jpg
    20200828_152238.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200828_152317.jpg
    20200828_152317.jpg