What would you do? :)

Chuck Simon

TVWBB Pro
Hey everybody! I have a quick question. One of my friends asked if I would smoke them a pork shoulder for pulled pork. I happily agreed to do it. They went and bought a 9 lb shoulder. They brought it over and then told me to let them know how much they owe me. I was going to ask for $30. My wife told me to charge them only $20. Another friend of mine said no less than $50. I was thinking about it, it is my smoker, my charcoal, my smoke wood, my seasonings and most of all, my time. What do you all think I should charge them? They are friends but not super close friends. I am afraid if I charge too much they might be put off. I also don't want to sell myself short. What would you do? Thanks in advance!

I came up with a simple way of handling this. If someone wants me to smoke something, I buy it and smoke it. When they pick it up and ask "how much", I tell them what my costs were and let them figure it out. If I just piggy back their item on one of my smokes, I don't calculate cost of fuel, wood etc as their item didn't add anything to the costs.

If I'm satisfied with what they give me, I'll smoke more for them in the future. If not, that's the one and only time for them.

Last edited:
If they were smart they should've brought 2 pork butts & said you could keep some.

I think I'd do a cook of your own and throw theirs on for the ride.

If cash is involved tell them "tips are appreciated".

I wouldn't charge them anything, But they would be buying there own charcoal & if they wanted to donate a 12 pack to me all the better. But that's just me.

The going rate around here is a twelve pack of BMC or a sixer of a good craft brew. Then sit and share a pint with him.

Honestly I wouldn't charge them anything, If they brought me some beer/soda that would be cool. If it became a regular thing then yes I might consider charging them.

I'm doing something similar this weekend. Cooking pork butts for a party tomorrow for my wifes friend. Not charging anything because i love to smoke and i'm learning to master my wsm. This is the only free one though as it took me all day, not foiling through the stall.

the fact he offered to compensate you in the first place shows that he wants to return the gesture at least in some way. While you may think you are being super nice if you tell him not to worry about it, you don't need anything - he actually may end up feeling like more of a heel for asking then. If I was in his shoes I would rather give something back as a token of appreciation.

what I would say is just bring a thing of beer or a nice bottle of wine if you want, or maybe a nice bbq book or something like that. he will have more fun trying to get something thoughtful and will be nicer than just grabbing a $20 from him

anyway, that is my thoughts on the matter

I came up with a simple way of handling this. If someone wants me to smoke something, I buy it and smoke it. When they pick it up and ask "how much", I tell them what my costs were and let them figure it out. If I just piggy back their item on one of my smokes, I don't calculate cost of fuel, wood etc as their item didn't add anything to the costs.

If I'm satisfied with what they give me, I'll smoke more for them in the future. If not, that's the one and only time for them.

+1 here!!!!!

Thank you for all of your input. I have smoked stuff for family and not charged them anything. I have never charged anyone before. I usually just make a bunch and share with all of my friends. The fact that they had asked if I wanted to make some extra cash and then asked me to smoke them some pork, is the reason why I was asking what I should even charge. I think I am going to play the safe route and if they ask, I will just tell them to pay me whatever they want. Thanks again everyone!

Around here if you charge money you technically become a food vendor and are subject to all licensing and health code requirements, not really much chance that it would come back on you...just sayin'.

It's hard to take $$ from friends sometimes, but they brought it over, they asked you to cook it for them. They could've asked you to throw it on along-side your next cook, or offered free meat for your trouble. Doesn't sound like they're your best friends either, but they think highly enough of you to ask for your cooking and they're wanting to make it happen.

I'd like to hear how the situation turns out, even if they're bad tippers (don't be surprised), it'll be reputation points for you.

OT:
I accepted (almost refused it) $50 for watching Big Hairy (my friends' St Bernard) over a holiday weekend several weeks back. I said yes but regretted it almost instantly because that meant I couldn't go camp or ride. I still had a good time, & we had him pull us around on a skateboard & had a few adventures. He wasn't nearly as slobbery and messy (this dog ate one of my books when he was a pup and had a taste for the missus shoes/gloves) as I expected. I would not have asked or expected anything, but when he handed me a fifty.... it took a split second then I said Thanks! and put it in my pocket :)

They brought it over and then told me to let them know how much they owe me. !

How's it goin Chuck :) Well since they did offer to comp you I would ask them what they would consider paying for good BBQ price-wise per #.
Take a peek at Jewels or Meijers and notice what Curly's or whatever dreaded/ shredded/pulled pork they offer costs per lb and take it from there.:wsm:

Tim

Hey everybody! I have a quick question. One of my friends asked if I would smoke them a pork shoulder for pulled pork. I happily agreed to do it. They went and bought a 9 lb shoulder. They brought it over and then told me to let them know how much they owe me. I was going to ask for $30. My wife told me to charge them only $20. Another friend of mine said no less than $50. I was thinking about it, it is my smoker, my charcoal, my smoke wood, my seasonings and most of all, my time. What do you all think I should charge them? They are friends but not super close friends. I am afraid if I charge too much they might be put off. I also don't want to sell myself short. What would you do? Thanks in advance!

I'm fine with the panopoly of responses so far, but my charge (if they are buying the meat) would be zip. If I lose out on my charcoal, my spices or the cost of my smoker that's the cost of doing a solid for a friend. If they are good enough for me to call if the car breaks down, or if I need a hand moving something on short notice, it all ends up working out in the end.

And that isnt to say that people who want to be paid are wrong, just different. If they brought some beer or some booze, that's gravy but I wouldnt expect anything at all.

I'm fine with the panopoly of responses so far, but my charge (if they are buying the meat) would be zip. If I lose out on my charcoal, my spices or the cost of my smoker that's the cost of doing a solid for a friend. If they are good enough for me to call if the car breaks down, or if I need a hand moving something on short notice, it all ends up working out in the end.

And that isnt to say that people who want to be paid are wrong, just different. If they brought some beer or some booze, that's gravy but I wouldnt expect anything at all.

Really depends on the "level" of the friendship. Smoking a butt is a little bit different than asking a friend to give up some of their free time to drop you off or pick you up at the airport.

Several years ago, I had invited my boss and his wife over for Smoke day. His wife was so enamored with the pulled pork, he asked me to smoke a butt for him and to just "let him know what it cost". So I bought a butt, smoked and shredded it and took it to him the next Monday. When he asked what it cost, I just told him that the butt cost $15. He whipped out a ten and a twenty, handed them to me and said thanks! He told me the next day that his wife said thanks and he never asked me to do it again!

Hey Tim, how's it going buddy? Did you smell all the smoke coming from my house? I was outside cooking for 19 hours straight. Once I finished one thing, I started another. I am wiped out!!!

Thanks again everyone! I like seeing everyone's responses. The people I made the pork for are not super close friends. They happened to come over one time as I was finishing pulling a shoulder. I had them try some and they really liked it. Anyway, the shoulder took 14 hours. I texted them and told them it was done. They came over to get it. I waited to shred it until they were at my house. The husband watched me shred the pork. While shredding he asked me if I wanted anything. I told him it was up to him. After I was done shredding, he handed me $10. Later his wife asked how much they owed and the husband told her that he had already given me $10. She said that's it? She asked me if I wanted more and I said, sure I'll take $100. She asked me a few more times if I wanted anymore. I just said that what they gave me was enough to cover the charcoal I used for it. I talked to a few friends about it and they were put off that they didn't give me more money for my time at least. I just said I felt honored that they liked my food enough for me to make some for them.

OT:
About a month ago I did a solid for my neighbors. I took care of their bearded dragon while they were out of town for a few days. Today, they texted and asked if I was home. They came over and dropped off a thank you card along with a $25 Bass Pro giftcard. That really made my day! :)

Back