What would you do with Carolina aromatic rice?

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Found some of the good stuff in the back of the freezer. Amazing what you find when you start digging around back there! This will go good in some BBQ side dish. What would you do?

Untitled-1.jpg

I would probably cook it in my normal style and be very, very, happy with the results!
I use classic pilaf technique, hot oil, sweat some garlic, add the rice, toss to coat well, carefully to avoid burning the garlic.
Then add hot stock to equal the amount of rice, it will sizzle alarmingly, stir for a minute or so, then reduce to a bare simmer, cover and DO NOT TOUCH for 18 minutes (15-20) remove from heat, fluff with a fork and enjoy!
I have people begging me for this recipe and aside from family, I don’t usually share it BUT, you are all sworn to secrecy!
;)

Since you have two pounds of it, start with just a pot of the rice so you can get a feel for what it's flavor is "au natural". I went to the website, and it's a bit broken, so couldn't find any good info on what the general characteristics are like. I prefer the pilaf method, like Tim, but I finish in a 360F oven to control the simmer better (my cooktop's "simmer" setting is too hot.) And, if you're doing a batch to understand it's basic flavor, perhaps water instead of stock.....might be a little on the uni-dimensional side, but you'll taste the rice. Once you know what it offers flavor-wise above and beyond your typical long grain rice, then you may have a better idea what recipes would augment its natural flavor the best. Some cilantro/lime rice could be good, butter/garlic rice, jambalaya, etc. Sounds like a fun experiment (especially to me, as I have had a life long love affair with rice.) :)

R

Timothy, that's nearly an identical method I do with basmati (I use about 1.75x water to rice.) Some minor differences, I usually use onion, not garlic (but I'm gonna have to try this,) chicken stock, 15 minute simmer, 10 minute rest.

I generally buy it (Jasmine) by the 25 pound bag, I really dislike being out of rice. I love rice but, since my developing diabetes I eat much less than I used to. I’d make a batch of rice and make chicken satay with Thai peanut sauce and make a nice mound of the rice and put a small SS bowl in the center, then put a smaller bowl with the sauce in that, laying the strips of chicken around it, it’s pretty and very simple. My wife and I will still do that but, I have to watch the rice intake! Sitting on the patio with a glass of something refreshing makes for a nice summer dinner.
Rich, I’ve done the oven method too and it really is very convenient if you have a “fussy” stove, I now have gas again after almost 30 years with an old heavy GE electric monstrosity! I’m in heaven in the kitchen!
The oven method is used by Gerard Crozier when he makes “Rabbit Chasseur” it really works well!

Timothy, that's nearly an identical method I do with basmati (I use about 1.75x water to rice.) Some minor differences, I usually use onion, not garlic (but I'm gonna have to try this,) chicken stock, 15 minute simmer, 10 minute rest.

The 10 minute rest is critical to good, fluffy rice (in my very not humble opinion!) :)

.... I now have gas again after almost 30 years with an old heavy GE electric monstrosity! I’m in heaven in the kitchen!

I have a gas range top, it's just not very good at simmering, and is 15 years old. I have a brand new Wolf rangetop that's been sitting in my garage since the SIP started, but we haven't installed it yet as we need to do some modification to the opening in the countertop. I'm not confident in my ability to do it right, so waiting until I can have a non-family member help out. :cautious:

Ok, Chris, is that enough hijacking for you??!

R

I agree about the rest time! But the most critical thing is DO NOT PEEK!!!
There, now this has truly been sidetracked, such tangents do seem to occur.

Back