What Type Of Fuel For Ribs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Did my first cook of BB.'s with 1 1/2 chimneys of Kingsford and about 4 fist size chunks (or smaller) of apple. Cooked on top rack with apple juice in the pan. Ribe cooked in about 4 (+-) hours, tenderness was just OK, but the ribs were dark in color, not the nice mahoganony color.

Thinking next try, I'll use straight lump with maybe one piece of apple.

What do you experts Think?

Thanks,
RonW.

how's lump going to change the color of the food?

i suggest ditching the AJ because if any of the sucrose ends up on the meat it'll carmelize and turn dark and bitter after cooking for hours

of course more info is needed, a lot more about what you did exactly but 4 hours could well be too brief to get tender ribs

as a final suggestion you may wish to post questions like this in the beginner section which has a wealth of good info there, and this question isn't really specific to competition at all

RonW,

What temperature did you maintain during the cook? I usually cook spares about 6hrs with a dome temp of around 250. Baby backs a little less time with the same dome temp.

You may use whatever you wish in the water pan, but from my experience water works about as well as anything and its cheaper! Its purpose is to act as a heat sink for temp control.

Some like using sand in the water pan. Just be careful the first time ot two till you get use to it.

Don't worry too much about the misplaced post! I don't think Chris will be too upset! A "new member" with only 5 post is expected to misplace a few questions.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your smoking adventures!

RonW

I suspect your dark color may be related to straight AJ in the pan. The WSM brochure which is held in great disfavor by most on this forum, does talk about using other mixtures in the pan. I bet you'll have less of a problem with water.

The tendernesss of your ribs will relate, most likey, to length of cook. Use a toothpick to see if they're tender - goes in easily - or the tear test.

I really did not notice which category you had posted in and I doubt if many did.

Good luck and welcome.

Paul

The less sugar in the rub the redder the meat. Ribs can stand a higher temp like 275 just fine. Apple is too mild a wood IMO. OK as part of a blend. I just use water and a sugar rub from the get go, works for me /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Then I know folks who only sweeten right at the end and it works for them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason Flynn:
[qb]you may wish to post questions like this in the beginner section...[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Moving to the Beginner's Forum. No problem!

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back