What To Expect From My First Brisket?

Great video! Remember it from when I was researching the WSM before buying.

Really need to get some 24” foil.

Dump too much grease in the bush and you'll be inviting a bunch of unwanted guests. :oops: 🐭

This is a 13 year old video, videography sucks and I need to make this video again using current water pans, but it makes your point...I tend not to wrap the inside of the pan when using water, only when cooking without water. I always wrap the outside.

Still looks like you got a nice smoke ring and great food and experience. Not surprised you needed to close the vents so much. I agree with you, a prime may cook much different. You did well. Looks tasty. What is the consensus here on coolong off before placing in cooler?

I had mine on the counter for about 15 mins before I placed in the cooler. Don’t know if that matters much unless it is like more than half an hour.

Still looks like you got a nice smoke ring and great food and experience. Not surprised you needed to close the vents so much. I agree with you, a prime may cook much different. You did well. Looks tasty. What is the consensus here on coolong off before placing in cooler?

Chris would you refoil the bottom of the water pan every time if you fill with water? Or can you leave it in for multiple uses?
After each cook, I remove the pan from the cooker, discard the foil, wash and dry the pan, and store it in a garage cabinet along with the cooking grates, grilling tools, charcoal, etc. Then I refoil before each use.

Oops forgot one thing. I believe the baking sheet added to your woes. Not sure rhe answer but experience and such tells me. I thought of that as soon as I read about it.

Did you cook the wrapped brisket fat side down? That can cause sticking (even with butcher paper). After wrapping, I go fat side up for that reason.

So when I wrap, I have to remind myself to leave the loose ends of the paper on the meat side. So the loose ends get tucked in by being on the bottom.

I've only done a few briskets and it's because my results didn't turn out looking nearly as good as yours. And the taste follows. I'd say you've got a success right there and a great foundation to build on for your next one.

Back