What the is quickest and easiest way to get the WSM to 225 for 1 hour

Jogan Thomas

TVWBB Member
Going to cook a Tomahawk the weekend.

Going to reverse sear it starting on the WSM and then onto the MT to sear.

I know I could do the whole thing on the MT.

As I only need the WSM for around an hour, whats the best way to fire it up.

3/4 a chimney lit coals and full water pan? or another method?

Thanks

Hey Jogan,

I've done thick steaks on the WSM before then sear on the grill, it's a great way to get an even cook with "edge to edge" pink. I would fire up minion method, probably do 2/3 to 3/4 full of coals. I use leftover coals combined with fresh when I do "shorter" cooks like this, so that is an option too if you have some from your last cook. Depending on thickness, your steak should only need around an hour to get to 105 to 110 internal temp. Water in the pan will help maintain even temps of about 250. If you're trying to incorporate smoke, a few wood chips of pecan or hickory would go a long way. Good luck and post pics!

Cheers,
Kyle

Hey Jogan,

I've done thick steaks on the WSM before then sear on the grill, it's a great way to get an even cook with "edge to edge" pink. I would fire up minion method, probably do 2/3 to 3/4 full of coals. I use leftover coals combined with fresh when I do "shorter" cooks like this, so that is an option too if you have some from your last cook. Depending on thickness, your steak should only need around an hour to get to 105 to 110 internal temp. Water in the pan will help maintain even temps of about 250. If you're trying to incorporate smoke, a few wood chips of pecan or hickory would go a long way. Good luck and post pics!

Cheers,
Kyle

Thanks KEhrl

I am hoping to avoid the minion method, trying to do it as quick as possible as will be getting home late.

I am sure I read somewhere you can dump half a chimney or so in, but this may be wrong or not for 225-250

What size WSM and what type and brand of charcoal? Using Weber briquettes, I could light 12-15 and hold that temp easily for an hour in my 22. I've been scaling back the amount of briquettes I've been using because I don't want to run out of Weber. It is surprising how few lit briquettes you actually need to get and hold that low of a temp.

If it were me I would probably do a short 2x1 snake in the kettle. Light the snake with 6-8 lit coals. Add some wood chunks on top of the snake. Bottom vents barely open. Top cent open.

After the steak has been on low for about thirty minutes, fire up half a chimney of coals to do the final sear on the kettle. Pull your steak when it hits your target temp, dump the fully lit half chimney in the kettle, pre heat for a few and then sear away.

Last edited:
What size WSM and what type and brand of charcoal? Using Weber briquettes, I could light 12-15 and hold that temp easily for an hour in my 22. I've been scaling back the amount of briquettes I've been using because I don't want to run out of Weber. It is surprising how few lit briquettes you actually need to get and hold that low of a temp.

Using the 18.5 and of course Weber Briquettes.

Would you use water with that?

Thanks

I'd use an empty water pan. You are looking to get smoke and indirect heat for the reverse sear. Water in the pan will only consume fuel bringing it up to temp.

Try 15 lit. If you use an ATC, you can just set it and forget it at 225. If not, just adjust the vents until it stabilizes at that temp.

I recently bought the small size Weber chimney starter. It does a very nice job of starting up to 22 briquettes.

I just smoked 4 Cornish game hens in my 18.5" WSM using a single Weber chimney starter heaped to the top with Kingsford Original. Spread the lit charcoal over the charcoal grate, ran the cooker with an empty water pan and all vents 100% open top and bottom. It ran at 275*F for 90 minutes, no adjustments. For 225, I would have partially closed the bottom dampers.

Here's how last weekend I did a short smoke/sear of some extra thick pork chops on my 18 WSM:

Firedial heat diffuser
Ample unlit in the charcoal chamber (which I always do no matter what) with two chunks in the middle (i.e. Soo donut)
2 chunks of smoke wood and 20 briquettes in the chimney
(for a short cook, I want good thin smoke from the outset -- hence the chunks in the chimney)
Smoke for 90 minutes
Remove barrel and sear with grate on the ring.

Why build a second charcoal fire when you have a good one already going in the WSM?

I indirect on the Kettle, if you using KBB, light about 12 to 14 coals and it'll get you at least 225 for an hour, or thereabouts.

If using Weber briquettes, use about 10.

Back