What mods are worth the $$$

On the subject of WSm's do most people thread there probes through the grommet or just pass them under the lid? I find threading it through the grommet after lighting, attaching the grate probe and then probing the food a but of a faff TBH.

On the subject of WSm's do most people thread there probes through the grommet or just pass them under the lid? I find threading it through the grommet after lighting, attaching the grate probe and then probing the food a but of a faff TBH.
I just cut a small slot out for the probes last weekend. I had been using the grommet but my probes would fail after only a couple uses. I dont know if that is the reason for failure or not but it is much easier now. 2 cooks in so far...

The 1st mod l did was 2 in wheels (now have 4 in) so l can from my shed to the patio with ease. Then did the grate mod for the charcoal and made the fire ring 3 in taller. Added gaskets and CB door with compression latch. Next on my list will be the lid hinge. I feel every mod l've done so far has been worth the money.

18.5:
  • Foiled Brinkman pan (no water)
  • Fire ring wired to crossed coal grates
  • Slot for wires
  • Wheels
  • Lid hanger
  • ATC vent mod (below the grate)

My 18" is from 2006. I cut a slot for the probe wires and added the SS hinge. That hinge is a game changer and I consider it a must have. Everything else i've seen, for me, falls into a nice to have.

Worth the money?

Six bucks and 5 minutes to put the Everbilt garage door handles on my 18.5.

You really don't need handles. But that ROI is hard to beat.

Never knew I needed any of these things til I got them. 🙃

I did the probe notch and installed the hinge. Both are huge improvements, especially the hinge! Cooked over the weekend, and I can’t describe how great it is to not have to look for a place to put the lid. Well worth the money. Now I can’t imagine not having it!

I modified the grill straps when I first got my 18.5 almost 10 years ago to keep the top cooking grate from falling through. That worked fine when I was cooking a single butt or ribs. However, the grate was unstable when I was cooking 2 or 3 butts. Also, the grate was getting more difficult to clean over time.
I bought Killa Grilla grates and I couldn’t be happier. They’re slightly larger and 3 times as heavy as the Weber grates. It might be overkill, but it gives me peace of mind and they clean up like new.
Hi Jeff, I've had the same problem with the stability of the top grate, just curious, how did you modify the grill straps to keep it from tipping? I'm not ready to spend $ on new grates.

Hi Jeff, I've had the same problem with the stability of the top grate, just curious, how did you modify the grill straps to keep it from tipping? I'm not ready to spend $ on new grates.
I placed nuts between the grill straps and the inside of the smoker. That was 10 years ago.
I don’t know if the grill straps and/or bolts are the same now.
99F54E34-939E-4103-95C8-0339738DAD88.jpeg

Last edited:
I've done the follow mods, so far I found them to be very convenient. They aren't required but like I said, I thought they were worth the money.

1. installed a gasket around the lid and front door
2. lid hinge from unknown bbq
3. 2nd charcoal grate that I crisscrossed over the original charcoal grate so the gaps were smaller which prevents the charcoal from falling down too soon. Noticed my fuel burn was has been longer. They were linked together with stainless steel hose clamps
4. hose clamped together my charcoal ring onto my charcoal rate so its one unit. makes it quick and easy to take in and out to cleaning.
5. Fireboard 2 Drive ATC. Love the Wifi controlling of the temp and fans and seeing the temp on my phone from anywhere i'm at

Because there is a lot of play between the grill grate and the inside of the smoker on at least one occasion I have tipped the grate into the fire below. By extending the tabs it helps keep that from happening. A while back I purchased a Hunsaker rib hanger and it had a even bigger problem with tipping. I finally had enough after when a full rack of beef back ribs fell in the fire. I have ditched the Hunsaker and purchased a LavaLock. If you do the mod to the grill straps, the LavaLock fits snugly in the gap between the grill straps and the smoker and no more worries!

Last edited:
Handles are only other thing you need. Wheels only good on smooth surface. Maybe notch for wires.

Notch for the wires... Is that in lieu of a silicone grommet/port in the side? My older WSM has neither the silicone grommet nor a dome thermometer. I was planning to add both, but I am interested the notch idea. Is there a link to this mod??? (found it... https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cutting-probe-thermometer-slot/)

I am still quite new to the WSM. I tweaked the door a bit today and also adjusted the stock (round) knob for a tighter fit. While the CB SS door is a neat piece, I think my money is better spent on other things.

Strongly considering the gasket kit. How does doing the door and lid gasket compare to the CB SS door? I can clamp down all of my vents and it won't shut things down. Any fuel that was in the smoker will burn away.

Because of where my WSM is set up, I am also considering the hinge. Is unknownbbq the best/only game in town? Their website shows the hinge installed on the side of the WSM.. I was planning to put it in the back. Where do those of you who have the hinge have it installed?

I've been looking for the expanded metal mesh for that mod.. haven't found it locally yet. If I can't find it, I'll get a second grate.

I did the water pan mod.. add washers behind the strap. Turns out it wasn't really needed.

Last edited:
Notch for the wires... Is that in lieu of a silicone grommet/port in the side? My older WSM has neither the silicone grommet nor a dome thermometer. I was planning to add both, but I am interested the notch idea

I have a newer WSM that has the grommet. I did the notch anyway, and it is a vastly superior solution than the grommet.

The only circumstance that would cause me to ever use the grommet was if I wanted to monitor ambient or meat temperature on the lower grate separately from the top grate. The grommet would be good for that limited circumstance. Otherwise, I would only use the notch.

As a mod, the notch is way simpler/easier to do than installing a grommet. Takes about 5 minutes with a dremel; 30 seconds with an angle grinder.

So I'd strongly suggest you notch first. Then see if there's any time you feel like you'd want the grommet in addition. My guess is probably not.

Back