What model Q is a decent for a college age kid ?

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
In case I see a good deal on one. I'm thinking smaller is better, table top OK.

They come and go on FBM and CL but I don't know much about them.

Q-12xx the smallest propane one is a good starter grill. Easy to maintain. They use the 1 lb canisters of propane that you can get at many stores like Walmart.

Dan, I sent each of my college kids off with a 200/220/2200. Both of them I found for free on CL or at the curb. One just needed cleaning, the other needed a new regulator. The have given the kids great service since they've had them (mostly burgers, dogs, etc.)

R

Cooking for 1-2 people, get the Q1xxx. Cooking for 3 or 4, get a Q2xxx. 4 or more, get a Q3xxx. If you son just cooks for himself and roomate or GF or whatever, Then the small Q is perfect. If he cooks for 3 or 4 roomates, then you should look to the bigger ones.

I agree,. Look for a used one cheap and you might have to replace the grates or burners, but it will save you a lot of money. I can find them for $50 or less pretty often.

Good info here, I use my 320 more than any of my grills, love it. It’s not portable at all. I bought a 2200 with a cart on a sweet deal at Costco. It’s pretty big, I’ve got my eye on a q-1200 if a deal ever pops up.

Cooking for 1-2 people, get the Q1xxx. Cooking for 3 or 4, get a Q2xxx. 4 or more, get a Q3xxx. If you son just cooks for himself and roomate or GF or whatever, Then the small Q is perfect. If he cooks for 3 or 4 roomates, then you should look to the bigger ones.

I agree,. Look for a used one cheap and you might have to replace the grates or burners, but it will save you a lot of money. I can find them for $50 or less pretty often.
I have done 8 burgers at once, 4 steaks/chicken breasts/pork chops at once, and even done an 8 pound pork shoulder on a sheet pan with a grill rack in my Q1200.

I also suggest the Q-1200. This has become my go-to gas grill for our family of 4. I use it more often than my Genesis. I found mine cheap as a used grill. I would look out for used ones on CL, FB marketplace, ....
I paid $70 for mine which was second hand but never used. I also got a new unused Q-2200 for the same price but I prefer the Q-1200 because of its smaller size.

Great info. I'll keep an eye out for a Q1200.

I'm trying to learn the visual differences when only a pic is provided. for example this one. I'm guessing its larger than a 1200, but how would I know before taking a drive to go see it?

1642697707968.png

Great info. I'll keep an eye out for a Q1200.

I'm trying to learn the visual differences when only a pic is provided. for example this one. I'm guessing its larger than a 1200, but how would I know before taking a drive to go see it?

View attachment 43775
Hi Dan,

On the cart if the grill feet are the same length as the mounting table you have a 2xx Q. The picture is a Q 2xx

Looks newer with electronic ignition and a thermostat

BPratt is right on the length of the feet being an indicator. The one shown is a Q220 as the lid is higher, has a thermometer and the electronic igniter. A Q200 has no thermometer, lower hood and a piezo igniter. The link below discusses the different Q models so might be helpful.

@DanHoo , I've owned all 3 of the series and sold the Q200 because it was too big for our needs. I have a Q120 that is just right for the 2 of us and gave a Q300 to our daughter. Here is a picture of the Q1xx grate on top of the Q2xx grate, to give a better comparison. Note that the newer models offer a split grate while the older models with a single grate need a special clip to hold the new two piece grates, or you can weld them (aftermarket SS) like Bruce did.

20200913_121922.jpg

If the lid is open you can see the difference in grates. Look for the space between grate bars on either end of the grate...if they are spaced along the interior where it's solid to protect the burner, it's a Q2xx. If it's a two piece grate without the clip, it's a later series grill. If it's on the portable stand, you can see that there are two pockets on the stand...the inner pockets are for the smaller grill. Many people don't like the portable stand and claim it's wobbly...I was lucky to find one NIB and it works fine for what I use it for. I also found a curb find Q100 up the street from our house while driving home from the market one day...I almost put my wife through the windshield I stopped so fast. It's on my to-do list.

I bought our Q120 for $25. I added the thermometer so I could see at a glance when I run out of LPG.

20200930_194326.jpg

The Q1xx is the "hot rod" of the series, the Q2xx is the "family sedan" (calculated by BTUh/sq. in. of grill space). The Q3xx has two burners, the others have one.

Also, note that none of the Qs are really considered portable, in that you can't carry them with one hand, unlike the Go Anywhere series. I don't think the folding cart is intended to transport the grill, like the new Traveler, but no doubt people have done it.

Last edited:
When our oldest was in college at U of I Circle Campus she said she wanted a grill. I found a guy selling what he said was a "Baby Q" for $50 with gas! I said sold and he lived in Streeterville area. As a bonus he said he would bring it to her, set it up and teach her how to use it! BAM! Later she calls me to tell me how "huge" it is.
He didn't even know he had a Q200 not a "BabyQ" which was the original name of the Q1xx. Well fast forward many years. She and her now husband living far from there (Elburn IL) still have that little beauty, along with my original Genesis 2 (now 3) I bought when she was a little girl.

Thanks @Ed Pinnell

So, with the split grate, this would then be a Q1xx. There's no thermometer on the lid. so likely a 100.

1642782654312.png

This sounds like the perfect size for someone likely to be moving a fair amount, opens the option to take it to-go, but good enough for decent cooks at home on a small patio.

Thanks. I'll keep my eye out.

TRIVIA: Technically, Weber added a digit to differentiate between the first and second editions, so an early one with the single grate is a Q100 or a Q120 and the second version with the split grate is a Q1000 (no thermo) or Q1200 (with thermo). The Q120 supposedly indicates a lid with a thermo but mine is ID'ed as a Q120 and did not have a thermo. I was also told that the first edition was only offered in a single color (titanium) but as you can see my lid is red, so possibly the lid was swapped at some point. The lid is different, has a higher dome, on some of the 2nd edition models with the thermometer.

I am continually surprised at how creative people are with these little grills, and how much food you can cook! This guy on YT, City Escape Griller, specializes in cooking on Qs:

EDIT: The clips (Weber 65634) to allow the first edition Q to use a split grate are not cheap.

Last edited:
Someone posted some of those clips on here a couple months ago or so if I remember correctly and they were not too expensive.

Someone posted some of those clips on here a couple months ago or so if I remember correctly and they were not too expensive.
That was me. They were $10 but I haven't been able to duplicate that deal since then. I don't know why those stupid things cost so much.

Back