What model is this? And, a few parts questions.

DLogan

Hi all, new to the board, and have just picked up this project for 15 bucks (and it fired up on the first try). I plan to semi-restore this for everyday use on the patio, upgrading from my 13 year old Baby Q. First off, exactly what model is this? There is a decal on the end of the valve panel, but, it's faded to solid white. It's a three burner, and appears the only option on it was the folding shelf. Grates measure 17 1/2 by 23 3/8, if that helps.

I spent the day stripping it down, and have some parts I need to try to find. The bottom pan, that slides out, was lined with foil when I picked it up, and after removing the foil, I discovered it had a quarter sized rust hole in it. Is there a source for these? Also, the Z shaped brackets that hold the plastic wood slats on the bottom are rusted up pretty bad. Is there a source, or other solution to replace those? The burner tubes should be good for a couple seasons, along with the flavorizor bars.

Since I got this last week, I've already found a folding side table, a condiment basket that will fit the right side, and a couple of warming racks. I've also found a wire shelf that will fit the bottom, if I can't find a solution for the Z brackets.

I've already ordered new grates, a new ignitor, and the little drip pan that clips under the larger one.

Attachments

• Weber Grill.jpg
    Weber Grill.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 66
Looks like a 1000 that's missing the flip table on the left side
I second, it's a Genesis 1000. It's too bad the big drip pan has a hole in it, you can't buy a new one. I have fixed small holes in them with JB weld. The z bars are another item you can't buy from Weber anymore, but may be able to fabricate or find a wire rack that fits on the bottom instead. Sometimes you have to get another grill and use it for parts that aren't in good shape or no longer available.

Last edited:
I second, it's a Genesis 1000. It's too bad the big drip pan has a hole in it, you can't buy a new one. I have fixed small holes in them with JB weld. The z bars are another item you can't buy from Weber anymore, but may be able to fabricate or find a wire rack that fits on the bottom instead. Sometimes you have to get another grill and use it for parts that aren't in good shape or no longer available.
Thank you both for the confirmation that it's the 1000. We have a antique/junk dealer close by, that I've already robbed some parts from one they have in their scrap metal lot, and actually found the wire rack for the bottom. It has some surface rust, but, is still very solid. That's also where I found my missing folding table, and a condiment rack. Scouring the board, I've discovered the pan is going to be a difficult find, so, I guess I'll do the aluminum foil liner like the previous owner did. I might try some JB Weld tricks, I've learned in other hobbies, but, will still line with foil.

The 1000 never had a wire rack on the bottom
This one might end up with one, until I solve the z rails that hold the slats. I'm not sure of the model I got parts from, but, the rack fits and will offer a temporary solution for now. No more than I use the lower shelf on grills, the wire shelf might just become permanent. But, I really do like the look of wood slats I'm seeing in other restore/refurb posts :)

A supplier we all like Dave Santana AKA RCPlanebuyer on EBay makes very nice stainless ones. Additionally a number of members have found some nice aluminum stock that doubles in very well for them. Nothing wrong with wire rack BTW. I was only under the impression you were trying to stay "authentic"

The Genesis 1000 models sold through Target had a wire rack on the bottom as well as Skyline models. As LMichaels stated above, you can get stainless steel replacements if you prefer the wood look.Screenshot_20221110-182317_Chrome.jpg

That's a very good parts diagram, Steve. Thank you for posting it. But, it brings up another question, lol. What is part #45? The grill I am working on does not have it, but, the grill I've robbed some parts from did, so I got it just in case I need it.

The manifold bracket? It hooks under the manifold and over the frame to support the manifold when you push down on the knobs. It's a good thing to install.

Glad I picked it up now! I guess at some point in the past, the previous owner left it off when swapping burner tubes out.

I did just find and download a matching owners manual a few minutes ago, which should help keep the basic questions about obtainable, and replaceable hardware to a minimum.

Glad I picked it up now! I guess at some point in the past, the previous owner left it off when swapping burner tubes out.

I did just find and download a matching owners manual a few minutes ago, which should help keep the basic questions about obtainable, and replaceable hardware to a minimum.
Those brackets will fall off and get lost just from moving the grill, it's happened to me. Having a model # to go off of makes it a lot simpler for parts. A lot of the parts for that grill are either no longer available new or very expensive so don't throw anything away until your sure. Also, don't be afraid to buy aftermarket parts on eBay or Amazon when they are way less expensive than the Weber version.

The 1998 Genesis brochure shows a gen 1000 with a wire bottom rack and the other models with slats

Very often, manufacturers will have the marketing department use pre-production models for advertising and product literature before design details are finalized. I'm not trying to definitively say that this is what is going on here, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Look up model 211001 and you will find a genesis 1000 with a bottom wire rack.

Attachments

• Gen1000manual cover.JPG
    Gen1000manual cover.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 9
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Could be Weber switched from durawood bottom to a wire rack later in it's run. The wire rack is likely cheaper for them, hence the change.

Could be Weber switched from durawood bottom to a wire rack later in it's run. The wire rack is likely cheaper for them, hence the change.
I don't think they switched from durawood to the wire rack. I think they just offered the wire rack models as a lower/cheaper version. The schematic for the grill I posted above was listed as a Target only model for example.

Back