What lump to use?

John Wheeler

TVWBB Pro
What lump to use?
I'm a kingsford guy. I was doing a cook at work for everyone and couldn't get competition briquettes so in a pinch I grabbed hd cowboy lump hoping for higher heat. Epic fail! Had to oh fan direct through a damper hole to even hit 250F! Was able to salvage the cook. Thankfully the judges were co-workers and cbj's! I broke a BBQ commandment! Don't change right before a cook! Der Der Der! :/ That all being said, it's lump, it's lump, it's lump, it's in my head... Help!

Depending on yer neck of the woods, there can be a lot of options for lump.
CB IMO is barely acceptable cause it's mostly branches and dust with a few pcs of large chunks.
I use mostly RO and that in itself can be hit or miss, but for the most part it works for me.:wsm:

Tim

I use allot of different stuff depending on what I'm cooking. But when I use lump there are a few that stand out, Wicked Good Weekend Warrior, Stubbs, and Ozark. If you go to the http://www.nakedwhiz.com they have tons of reviews on fuels.

I understand that cowboy lump has a bad reputation, however, not being able to get up to temp probably had more to do with this being the first time you used lump. When you use lump, you need to do a little more than pour it in the charcoal ring. You have to pack it. Not a big deal, but because lump isn't uniform like briquettes, if you don't get your hand in there and adjust the lump you'll have a bunch of air pockets and will not get a good burn. It may have also been that it was a bad (even for cowboy) bag of charcoal (got wet or something).

I think what lump you use tends to be a factor of what's available. I've used Royal Oak and like it, but it's hard to find now. I live in Michigan and was able to get it at Gordon Food Service but they don't carry it anymore. I think their brand is Royal Oak, but I haven't tried it yet. Look around and try a few different brands if you can find them. I believe it's too expensive to ship charcoal but if you're so inclined, you can get a number of brands. If you go that route, I recommend getting a group of grillers/bbq'ers together and get a large load shipped. You will save a lot of money doing so especially if you know someone who works at a place where there is a loading dock where it can be off loaded and separated.

I'm a staunch briquette guy but was curious what others have and do use. I've never seen RO lump by me. I've used lump many times in the past, just never in my WSM. Thanks guys

Back