What kind of tree is this?

My first thought was willow, until I saw the trunk.
I'm guessing willow oak.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_phellos

willow_oak3.jpg

Interesting question, eh? Wiki says it's sometimes labeled as Red Oak, which is very popular out West, but don't all Oaks produce acorns?
This tree has got to be 50 - 100 yrs old, so I would assume it's old enough to (>16, per Wiki) to produce.
Obviously, the simple answer is Don't Use It, but if it is ok to use, I've got a lifetime supply across the street!! :D

Cut a couple chunks. Let them dry for a few days, then do a small inexpensive test cook. What can it hurt? it won't kill you. Might be a gold mine across the street!

Weeeelllllllll,
It might not kill you but, it “could” make you sick.
Granted, I’m not an arborist but, better to err on the side of caution than make anyone sick!
A buddy of mine told me he was going to do a thanksgiving turkey and had just dropped some mahogany on, I told him to get it off the coals IMMEDIATELY, resins in mahogany can be lethal!
Cut some, let it dry for a while, burn and see if the stuff smells good or if it smells like burning rubbish. I trimmed a bunch of silver maple form a tree in my front yard, “Its maple...” smelled like something which decorum does not allow on a food forum. All wood has its advantages or detriments. Burn a bunch of trimmings over some hot coal and see how it smells.

Weeeelllllllll,
It might not kill you but, it “could” make you sick.
Granted, I’m not an arborist but, better to err on the side of caution than make anyone sick!
A buddy of mine told me he was going to do a thanksgiving turkey and had just dropped some mahogany on, I told him to get it off the coals IMMEDIATELY, resins in mahogany can be lethal!
Cut some, let it dry for a while, burn and see if the stuff smells good or if it smells like burning rubbish. I trimmed a bunch of silver maple form a tree in my front yard, “Its maple...” smelled like something which decorum does not allow on a food forum. All wood has its advantages or detriments. Burn a bunch of trimmings over some hot coal and see how it smells.

Duhhhhh! "If brains was lard..."
I'll try that.

Charles, what you have is a Willow Oak or also known as a Pin Oak. As far as oak trees go, they grow rather fast, have good form and most produce really small acorns. The problem wit this oak is the leaves fall and are a real pain to try and remove from the yard. I think there was a post many years ago about using it in a smoker, but I’m not sure. I think it’s on the milder side of oaks, along with the white oak as far as smoke flavor..
Good luck,
Tim

In the South we have what's called Live Oak. I have 11 in my yard. The leaves and bark look like the pics. Unlike Oaks that drop their leaves in the Fall and have naked branches through the winter ours maintain their leaves until spring. Then they drop their leaves and immediately replaces them At that point they set Pea size Acorns but not a large number per tree. Growing up in Missouri I remember Acorns 3/4 inch in diameter and these max out at about 1/2 inch in diameter. Most are smaller. I have been using Live Oak in my smoker for at least 10 years.

Does that tree spend it's winter with naked branches?

Back