What is the right size?

Jon Westerlin

Hi everyone. I am new to this just wanted get some expert opinions on what is the right size 14, 18, 22. I am not so concerned about price more about what will last me long term. I have just me and my wife but do entertain some.

That's really a personal decision based on budget, use, space, etc. I have a 14.5" and a 22.5". My 14.5" is for the RV and the 22.5" is a permanent fixture on the Big Deck. I've done a pork butt, a whole chicken, two racks of ribs (cut each rack in half), a spiral sliced ham, fattie, etc, etc on the 14.5" and have only used the top food grate. I imagine I could do more if I used the bottom food grate. Of course, the 22.5" can cook anything you wanna put on it but I imagine the largest thing I've cooked is a HUGE 22+ lb turkey.

Think about what and how you wanna use it and go for it. HTH.

There's a reason Weber makes 3 sizes. There isn't a "right size" answer we can give you. Listen to Dwains info. I have the 22, 18, and a 14" mini built from a Smokey Joe. I use them all.

Jon, the Smokey Joe is great but don't overlook the Go-Anywhere model. Depending on size and space limitations when traveling it might be more practical than a fixed-leg grill.

I am a new WSM owner. I think it's true that the larger the cooker, the more fuel it will burn. So, if you are not needing the extra space for most of your cooks, you will be wasting money on fuel for most of your cooks. How much? I don't really know. But, I have 22.5" and a 26.75" kettles grills. The difference is noticeable.

I bought the 18 because I figured I'd rather save money a majority of the time and be occasionally inconvenienced. I've been pretty happy with that size. Here's a picture of 2 racks of St. Louis style cut ribs fitting on the 18. Before they shrunk, they were a really tight fit. I could have rolled them or cut them. I don't know why, I just like lying them flat. You can also use the bottom grate. But, it's much less convenient to access.

As others mentioned, there is no "right" size. Unless you buy more than one size, at times, you'll always wish you had a different size.

11653128354_423798da8d_z.jpg

I have the 18.5 and it is perfect for my needs, but like others have said it is a personal choice. Best advice I can give is to find a place with them all on display so you can really get up close and personal. That is what led me to opt for the 18.5 versus the 22.

There's a reason Weber makes 3 sizes. There isn't a "right size" answer we can give you. Listen to Dwains info. I have the 22, 18, and a 14" mini built from a Smokey Joe. I use them all.

That's 5 sizes. I have all but the largest, and the Ranch Kettle is on my wish list.

The 14.5 is too darn small for almost anything, unless you top it with a stock pot.
The 18.5 is too small for most things except as a tailgate grill or a second grill when you want to cook on 2.

The 22.5 is the way to start, and I highly recommend avoiding the silver. Go for the gold. If you got the money get a Performer.

I had or have all the above (both kettle and WSM like) except the 26.75. I use a 22.5 Kettle for just about everything. Even when I cook low n slow (WSM like) I find I can use a kette as well as a WSM.

If we are talking WSM I would recommend the 18.5 like you , I cook for 2 most often and for company once in a while. The 18 has never been too small.
if you do decide on the kettle over the smoker , I would go with the 22. That's a whole different animal and won't use nearly the amount of fuel as a WSM. And you will want the larger grate , cause you only have one.

George Curtis is correct. ;)

don't limit yer self ! get them all.

I have the Go Anywhere, the Smokey Joe, OTG 22.5. I find that I use my Smokey Joe more than anything else for one to two person grilling; 22.5 for any entertaining. My Go Anywhere, which taught me how to grill and helped give me my passion mainly sits out because I prefer the Smokey Joe. You might look at the Jumbo Smokey Joe Gold. I don't need it because I have 4 grills, but that might be a good one.

Laura

Back