What is a substitute for paprika in rub?

Sandee McKinivan

TVWBB Member
A very nice lady at work has requested a taste of my "Mr. Brown" pulled pork.
The problem is, she's allergic to paprika!
icon_rolleyes.gif

I have already spent about 2 hours here searching on paprika and chile without a clear answer.
What I am looking for is a SIMPLE substitute for the paprika in rub recipes, something not much hotter than the original Mr. Brown.
A humongous "THANK-YOU" to all you wizards, gurus, emeralds, super-fans and other experienced pitmasters for this site!
icon_biggrin.gif

Cayenne pepper....cumin...chilli powder they might be a little stonger so you can cut back some. Paparika is made from mild peppers

This one is quite good. Types of chilies can be adjusted for personal preference. Keven has described on several occasions that paprika does not bring much to the table especially on long smokes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dsitterson:
Cayenne pepper....cumin...chilli powder they might be a little stonger so you can cut back some. Paparika is made from mild peppers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

McCormick Brand Chili powder does NOT contain gluten so that would be a great substitute and with more flavor to boot!

Paprika does contain gluten, so becareful because some chili powders do have paprika in them.

Note: Some of these spices MAY contain gluten from flour or other fillers/caking agents. If the ingredients in any spice is more than just the spice, then I would find another spice maker.
Allspice
Cajun spice
Cardamom, ground
Cayenne pepper
Chili powder
Cinnamon, ground
Cloves, ground
Cumin
Garam Marsala
Garlic powder
Ginger, ground
Marjoram, ground
Nutmeg, ground
Seven spice seasoning

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">McCormick Brand Chili powder </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
SO,I'm hearing that McCormick Brand Chili powder is the simplest substitute - 1 for 1 measurements I'm guessing...

Sandee, I use Ancho Chili Powder instead of Paprika. Adds a little bit of sweetness plus you don't get that bitterness taste that I've found in Paprika. It adds NO heat to the rub

THANX, PAUL!
icon_biggrin.gif

Does Ancho come already powdered or do I need a device? Is it found in the average supermarket, or do I need to find an specific ethnic shop?
icon_confused.gif

Since paprika is a ground mild pepper you might need to consider whether your friend would be allergic to other peppers as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Since paprika is a ground mild pepper you might need to consider whether your friend would be allergic to other peppers as well.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was my very question. I figured they'd all be closely related. I'm not expert on food allergies, but I'd find out if she's allergic to any other peppers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was my very question. I figured they'd all be closely related. I'm not expert on food allergies, but I'd find out if she's allergic to any other peppers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point. I was under the assumption she was 'gluten intolerent' and not actually allergic to peppers.

Thanx for watching my back. I will double check with her on this. As I understood her, she was allergic only to paprika..
It would not be good for my reputation if the Director of H.R. blew up like a puffer fish at work after eating my Q!
icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SANDEE MCKINIVAN:
Thanx for watching my back. I will double check with her on this. As I understood her, she was allergic only to paprika..
It would not be good for my reputation if the Director of H.R. blew up like a puffer fish at work after eating my Q!
icon_eek.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So, I'm on the hunt for Ancho chili powder - I'll try Wegman's first.

Sandee, Ancho pepper can be purchased in powder form.Because the texture is darker, the rub also comes out a little darker but you don't get that after taste I've found in paprika. Do a goggle search on ancho chili powder to see where it can be purchased. I got five pounds as a gift
icon_eek.gif
and I'm still working on it a few years later

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SANDEE MCKINIVAN:

What I am looking for is a SIMPLE . . . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simple = just leave out the paprika. You could do a butt with just salt and pepper or even no rub and it would still be better than anything you could get at a chain BBQ joint. You could do one butt plain and the other some other way (paprika substitute). Just bring some good sauces and you'll still have satisfied co-workers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So, I'm on the hunt for Ancho chili powder - I'll try Wegman's first. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure you'll be able to find ancho powder locally. Its a required ingredient for my comp sauce and rubs so I would love to have a local source. unfortunately I have yet to find one and usually get it from penzey's (either mail, or when I'm in pittsburgh).

Your best bet would be to try the spice person at the broadway market, but I don't recall seeing them last time we were there about a month ago.

I think the lexington coop on elmwood may have had it bulk.

Dash's and wegs sell dried chiles under the melissa brand. If you don't require a lot, you can used whole chiles and then grind them in a coffee grinder.

Ancho brings a lot more to the party than paprika, you're q is never going to be the same.

And be sure to let me know if you find a local source for good ancho.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why not just buy dried anchos and grind them yourself? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I often use it by the cupful. I just bought a pound of ground from penzey's. I don't even want to know what it would cost me buying 4 oz packs of whole chiles at the grocery store.

Buffalo kind of lags behind the rest of the county in it's hispanic population. I've yet to find a good market that stocks dried chiles at a reasonable price. Lucky Toronto and Pittsburgh both have nice ones and are both cites I frequent.

Back