What exactly DOES make the WSM better than a modified kettle?

Jeff Beitinger

TVWBB Fan
I think about this a lot.

As someone who has both a 22 WSM and a 22 kettle, I look at the WSM and wonder what about it makes it so much easier to use, and more "set it and forget it" than a kettle with a stacker midsection. Even a WSM that is modded (i.e., better door, deflector vs water pan, etc) to the point where it essentially no different physically than a kettle with a middle section and a diffuser is proclaimed to be "set it and forget it" and holds temps better than a kettle would.

But why?

The only thing that stands out the most to me is the lower vents on the WSM being off the bottom of the bowl vs the kettle where they are right at the bottom of the bowl and will be much easier to get clogged and cause temp control issues long-term.

So it would SEEM that a kettle with a stacker (or even just the midsection to an old WSM) equipped with a smoke port like on a SnS kettle should be just as easy and consistent with temps as any WSM.

When I made that suggestion to someone else who was wondering the same thing about a kettle vs WSM, I was basically told by some others that I didn't know what I was talking about or that they've never ever had clogging issues on their kettles. One is a smoker, and the other is a grill. End of story.

So what am I missing?

I would call it equal or close if your kettle had the old three wheel daisy vents.

Those are very useful if dealing with wind, either up or down wind.

One touch kettles are just that. One touch controls all three vents, compared to manually controlling one at a time.

I’ve not ever had clogging issues myself, but I’ve also never used a kettle to smoke super long. Think I’ve done a 14-16 hour cook but since the coals were around the edge of the grate, no clogs.

A WSM can hold more fuel and like stated gas the three vents. I’ve never smoked in my Sequoia with three vents, and don’t yet own a WSM (my area is absolutely lacking anything used or new) but have smoked plenty in my kettles.

So it would SEEM that a kettle with a stacker (or even just the midsection to an old WSM) equipped with a smoke port like on a SnS kettle should be just as easy and consistent with temps as any WSM.
It's also more miserly with fuel IME.
And that's just stock, no stacker or what not.

I think the looong distance between the fire and grate is a fundamental difference between wsm and kettle. Just makes low and slow easier. Especially when you add a water pan or other diffuser.

I don’t think the adjustability is the key thing. I think the basic dimensions just make a wsm much better at smoking for low slow.
But my question was about temperature control as it essentially pertains to the differences between a kettle bowl and the WSM bowl. That's why I said a kettle modified with a stacker kit

I still think it is the overall design more than anything else.

Unless you work really hard, a wsm is just going to run basically between 200 and 300F. Fairly small operating range. It is designed to run at low temps. Then add the better bottom vents for finer tuning.

Kettle has a much bigger temp range. And less effective (imo) bottom vents.

I think (and have done this) that a kettle with a charcoal ring out of a WSM, a defector setup (I used pizza stone and pan), a rotisserie ring did a fantastic job smoking a brisket. If / when my MB Gravity feed dies I will most likely go back to a kettle, viper, Aura kettle zone, and rotisserie ring instead of a WSM and Kettle. In that setup there is a lot of versatility and capability for someone that wants just one charcoal appliance.

I have an SnS as a full-time resident in my 22" Performer kettle and older ('91) 18" WSM.

They're both pretty easy to use for smoking, with a slight edge to the WSM, but not by much.

I've never had an issue with the WSM vents clogging with ash but, admittedly, I'll tap on the legs about 5-6 hours into a cook, and the temps will raise slightly.

I have an SnS as a full-time resident in my 22" Performer kettle and older ('91) 18" WSM.

They're both pretty easy to use for smoking, with a slight edge to the WSM, but not by much.

I've never had an issue with the WSM vents clogging with ash but, admittedly, I'll tap on the legs about 5-6 hours into a cook, and the temps will raise slightly.
Not the WSM vents, the lower vents on a kettle. People have told me that a kettle would likely clog during a long cook and would need more maintaining which is what's making me go back and forth

I think (and have done this) that a kettle with a charcoal ring out of a WSM, a defector setup (I used pizza stone and pan), a rotisserie ring did a fantastic job smoking a brisket. If / when my MB Gravity feed dies I will most likely go back to a kettle, viper, Aura kettle zone, and rotisserie ring instead of a WSM and Kettle. In that setup there is a lot of versatility and capability for someone that wants just one charcoal appliance.
And THAT, is the grail which I seek lol.
Thanks!

Not the WSM vents, the lower vents on a kettle. People have told me that a kettle would likely clog during a long cook and would need more maintaining which is what's making me go back and forth
Never had that issue and I've done plenty of long cooks on the kettle with the SnS.
Performers have the one touch-system, for cleaning ashes, so you can sweep it during the cook, if necessary.

I marked up the ash catcher with a Sharpie, so it's easy to keep the vents adjusted for the desired temp, after sweeping. I rarely need to sweep and, when I do, it's really late in longer cooks.

Not much maintenance with the SnS. It holds temps well, and for a long time. I love the WSM, but it's not as versatile as a kettle SnS combo.

I use my small wsm as a kettle most of the time. Just a nice size for me.
No mods necessary, just gotta be a little careful as the grid is loose on the charcoal ring. I don't know if that is the case with the bigger sizes as well.
Anyway, if I could just get what I want, I would go for the 18.5" wsm and a rotisserie ring.
But I love my 14.5".... (wish I could get a roti ring for it)

I use my small wsm as a kettle most of the time. Just a nice size for me.
No mods necessary, just gotta be a little careful as the grid is loose on the charcoal ring. I don't know if that is the case with the bigger sizes as well.
Anyway, if I could just get what I want, I would go for the 18.5" wsm and a rotisserie ring.
But I love my 14.5".... (wish I could get a roti ring for it)
Maybe @Garvin R can help you out. https://tvwbb.com/threads/not-a-lot-of-attachments-for-the-14-wsm-but.90188/

Thanks!
One day I will get around to making one.
I got the ring, motor and all for the 18.5, so with a bit of mcgyvering I should be able to make something.
Unfortunately ordering from the states or canada will be prohibitive because of transport cost

This is an old thread but
I think about this a lot.

As someone who has both a 22 WSM and a 22 kettle, I look at the WSM and wonder what about it makes it so much easier to use, and more "set it and forget it" than a kettle with a stacker midsection. Even a WSM that is modded (i.e., better door, deflector vs water pan, etc) to the point where it essentially no different physically than a kettle with a middle section and a diffuser is proclaimed to be "set it and forget it" and holds temps better than a kettle would.

But why?

The only thing that stands out the most to me is the lower vents on the WSM being off the bottom of the bowl vs the kettle where they are right at the bottom of the bowl and will be much easier to get clogged and cause temp control issues long-term.

When I made that suggestion to someone else who was wondering the same thing about a kettle vs WSM, I was basically told by some others that I didn't know what I was talking about or that they've never ever had clogging issues on their kettles. One is a smoker, and the other is a grill. End of story.

So what am I missing?
@Jeff Beitinger I had been wondering something similar but with a different slant. Having had a WSM-22 and doing about 20-30 cooks on it with roughly half being 4 hours or longer, heres what I concluded about the WSM
Heat Management: I struggled to keep it below 275 degrees unless I used cheap charcoal, a snake method and water pan, with all the vents closed. Even with those provisions it burned through charcoal relatively fast and had to be reloaded about every 4 hours.

Smoke and Flavor: Like most any Weber Kettle the WSM really does put out a great product and alot of it. I have 2 friends with a pellet grill and an offset smoker and they both like the flavor from the WSM better then what their grills produce.

Usability: However, without substantial mods like a lid hinge, roller wheels, tool hooks and a side table the WSM is clumsy to move around, clean the charcoal ashes and or use as a direct cook bbq.

In April of this year I sold my WSM and purchased a SNS 22' Kettle. In addition to the slow-n-sear basket and drip tray, I also bought a charcoal ring and diffuser plate to help me cook low and slow. I have done about 8 cooks on it (babybacks, burgers, bratwurst, chicken wings, Pork Butt, 2x TriTip, and Turkey) Heres what I learned about the SNS 22' Kettle.

Heat Management: I am really impressed with the range and easy adjustability with this kettle. I can stoke up the slow-n-sear with vents wide open and be searing meat at 450+. I can then replace with a charcoal ring and diffuser plate with water pan, close all the vents and open the smoke hole and it will ride between 220-230 for 7+ hours. Also because its a much smaller area it seems to be alot more efficient with charcoal consumption.

Smoke and Flavor: I was blown away by the flavor, juiciness and smoke flavor this kettle can produce on even short cooks. I would say its on par or dare I say better, then what my WSM could produce. I cooked a turkey about 300 for 4 hours and a Pork butt around 225 for about 11 hours and they both came out really good.

Usability: Except for the WSM's (significant) ability to cook alot of product at once, this 22' kettle beats it in everything else I have found important. Similar to the Weber Performer, this Kettle has way more features including a lid cradle, wheels, bottom and side shelves, tool hooks, smoke hole, external charcoal catcher and a more accurate low mounted thermometer. This kettle is just easier to use on a day to day basis and comparable at low-n-slow cooking while being better at searing.

So thats my 2 cents. If you only have budget or space for one rig, I would tell friends to go with a 22' Kettle and and acquire the cooking accessories mentioned above. For a small family like mine, its perfect blend of form and function. However if you regularly are hosting large gatherings and need to smoke 3-4 large cuts of meat at once, then the WSM is hard to beat.

Last edited:

Back