What does your wife know about your grill rehabbing hobby?

I am a wife of a man that has over 9 Marine generators in our garage, waiting to be repaired and sold. I would give anything if they were Weber grills. I don't think grills take up as much space as these generators. Your wives are very lucky. lol

I am a wife of a man that has over 9 Marine generators in our garage, waiting to be repaired and sold. I would give anything if they were Weber grills. I don't think grills take up as much space as these generators. Your wives are very lucky. lol
Awesome Joan, it is nice to hear an opinion from the Better Half!

I wonder how many husbands are going to point to my post and say "see, you don't have it THAT bad" lol

It's a good thing there is a door off of the patio leading into the garage. At least he can get to the washing machine. lol

My lovely wife called me on the way to her mother's house on Sunday to tell me there was a Weber on the side of the road.
A very dusty and pollen-covered 2001 Silver A with very rusty cast iron grates (only one shown in the picture), disintegrating flavorizer bars, and a missing button for the igniter. silverA1.jpgsilverA2.jpg
Easy fit into my CRV.

Don't know how I missed this tread, well yes I do spending half my life at doctors appointments.
Barb and I did about 25 rehabs together a few years ago and we both finally said enough. We couldn't find anything locally and driving to Phoenix became cost prohibitive. 200+ miles round trip and even back then the market was drying up. Plus the mess was getting to me.
We are looking forward to doing our last restore, our chocolate Genesis 2, although the lumber has doubled in price so we are going to wait a little to see if it comes back down.
Barb and I do almost everything together and that's the way I like it.

If you like two burners, it is a great rehab candidate.
I should have written "Rehab Me" in the dust before I washed it.
I will probably flip this, but depending on how it comes out, it may replace the two-burner Spririt E-210 I left at her aunt's house on the Cape. Then I'll sell that one.

Any comments regarding how hot this may get compared to the Spirit E-210? I've only used the two-burner Spirit a few times, but it doesn't seem to get hot enough for me, which is something I have read.

I think she was getting concerned after the free Silver C (with the Titanium grates) showed up last month; that made four grills in the back yard. I appeased the marital gods by selling the Spirit E-310 we found on the side of the road last year for $150 (rusty base and all), so she realizes that I can make a few $ on these, especially when they're free.

I should have written "Rehab Me" in the dust before I washed it.
I will probably flip this, but depending on how it comes out, it may replace the two-burner Spririt E-210 I left at her aunt's house on the Cape. Then I'll sell that one.

Any comments regarding how hot this may get compared to the Spirit E-210? I've only used the two-burner Spirit a few times, but it doesn't seem to get hot enough for me, which is something I have read.

I think she was getting concerned after the free Silver C (with the Titanium grates) showed up last month; that made four grills in the back yard. I appeased the marital gods by selling the Spirit E-310 we found on the side of the road last year for $150 (rusty base and all), so she realizes that I can make a few $ on these, especially when they're free.
What did / are you doing with those Titanium grates?

Don't know how I missed this tread, well yes I do spending half my life at doctors appointments.
Barb and I did about 25 rehabs together a few years ago and we both finally said enough. We couldn't find anything locally and driving to Phoenix became cost prohibitive. 200+ miles round trip and even back then the market was drying up. Plus the mess was getting to me.
We are looking forward to doing our last restore, our chocolate Genesis 2, although the lumber has doubled in price so we are going to wait a little to see if it comes back down.
Barb and I do almost everything together and that's the way I like it.
Rich,
You are very blessed. To get thing better with my wife, I am trying to stop looking at all grill ads (you were expecting ****, weren't you?) and work slow but steadily to start whittling down my inventory. She is so fed up with my collecting and excessive varied interests that overextend me that she is barely speaking to me. None of my collecting/gardening/etc. hobbies are worth this. So, some things have to change - like it or not.

Rich,
You are very blessed. To get thing better with my wife, I am trying to stop looking at all grill ads (you were expecting ****, weren't you?) and work slow but steadily to start whittling down my inventory. She is so fed up with my collecting and excessive varied interests that overextend me that she is barely speaking to me. None of my collecting/gardening/etc. hobbies are worth this. So, some things have to change - like it or not.
Two things that Barb said to me, one is when we went down to Phoenix and it was 122 outside to pick up a Geneses 2000 for $50.00 It took us about 20 minuets to disassemble the grill and load into the 4 runner. We both almost passed out in that heat.
On the way back she said "is it really worth it for the few bucks we're making on these" That's the days when $125 was a good price for a rehabbed genesis. My answer to her question was no it's not worth 4 hours of drive time and 200+ miles on the car at least $25 for gas we would be lucky to break even. Which we didn't we lost about $40 when we sold it.
The second thing she said to me was "We have 10 grills in our backyard and we haven't used one in weeks because we are working on grills all day are you sure you want to keep doing this" and I said no I'm done.
It dawned on me I was 71 and busting my butt for what. I haven't done a rehab in two almost three years and don't miss it a bit.
But I do know if I said I want to keep doing the rehabs Barb would have been by my side or would have gotten me a room in hotel silly.
Didn't like the odds in her choices, so I quit doing rehabs.
You pick your choices and take the good with the bad.

Totally cool. We will all get to that point some day where we just decide we have had enough and want to move on to other things in life. Great that you have a wife that right there on the journey with you.

My wife just laughed about it. She was totally ok with it since it financed my personal grills and other stuff. And when I had one ready to go she even said: It looks awesome, you really want to sell it?
But I stopped doing grills last year since it was too time consuming and because the old ones got harder to find and sell in my area. On top of that I hated the dirty work of cleaning these out. The mechanical part was all fun. But scraping out fireboxes and lids not so much. But I learned quite a bit.
Now I have more time again for my other hobby which is cycling. No money to be made but healthier.
And I started a few wood/furniture re-cycling and upcycling projects on the side. I rather work with wood dust than old grease.

Stephan, I agree. I love taking these grills apart and fixing them and putting them back together. If I could get someone to do all the cleaning and painting, I would be extremely happy. But, hey, the good parts outweigh the bad, so it makes it all worth while for me. Right now any way. My interests, abilities, or other factors such as parts supplies and market conditions could alter my outlook on doing this as well.

Wow I missed this thread. My wife found the two grills I rehabbed, but only in an effort for me not to spend money on a brand new smoker. If she only knew lol! All kidding aside, she knows men need hobbies, and that those hobbies cost money and time. Its all about balance. We have our special time, and I get my time with my hobbies smoking/grilling/music/brewing beer, wine, cider, mead etc. Her hobbies/interests revolve around our dogs, who happen to love grilled food! Win win!

Back