What do you shave with?

I was completely kidding with you.. I may look into it soon. I use a Schick hydro. The blades are stupid expensive, but you can flip the lubrication strip back and lock the swivel to trim around sideburns goatee, etc. Im still wearing a mid nineties goatee. It's gonna come back around.

I use Schick & Bic disposables from CVS whenever I can get the right coupon deals. Between extra bucks and in-store coupons, I don't pay much. (sometimes they pay me :cool:)

I’m not wild about the disposables unless I’m traveling, there’s a lot less waste plastic going to a dump. The straight razor is the least wasteful of material but, I just don’t trust myself to not cut my throat. The Dorco stuff is pretty cheap. I do prefer the brush method, it takes a little more time but, my wife prefers the smother finish.

Well i too hate the price of cartridges, the good thing is they last me forever, when go to Sams i pick up a mongo package and i use one for a month or so and replace it, the reason is i have a beard for about 40 years, and really only shave my neck when bugs me, which is once or twice a week, i never use soap creme or anything, i fact i have a can of foamy that is like 10 year old i am not sure it will shot out any foam,( might want check that and throwaway.) I just use a little hot water on a towel and then wet the blade an go for it.
I use a cordless trimmer to clean up the rest and they last 5 to 10 years.

My preferred tools and supplies have changed over the years.
(Before reading this post - please note that I am a fairly normal "oldish" guy. I'm just sayin' what works for me, but do not claim to be one of those stylish metro-seksuals...)

My beard lays down - so I found that Electrics didn't work for me.
ANY Electric that I've ever tried required too much pressure and "grinding-away" at my face (Norelco "Lift and Cut" = Jerk and Pull, Ouch!)

MY BEARD / FACIAL HAIR:
I wear a medium goatee and 'stache - so only have to shave about half of my face / I get more wear out of my razor blades.
It don't grow on my HEAD anymore - so my facial hair has to look nice with a close buzz.
[As my facial hair gets more silver and being of Germanic descent - I've been debating the idea of growing an old-school, Kaiser Wilhelm big ol' handlebar style.]

PREP STUFF:
Used to swear by Noxzema foam shaving cream - now I like Gillette or Nivea Gel
When I REALLY want a clean, smooth shave - I lay-down a drop or two of oil BEFORE the gel. (It penetrates and softens the hairs and makes the blades glide better - but usually at the expense of plugging-up the multi-blade heads more quickly. I forget the brand, [a few bucks at Walgreen's] but it has a woodsy-spicy smell and makes the skin tingle a bit.)

RAZORS:
They seem to be getting hard to find, but I really like the Gillette Sensor series with the compact head and the way that it swivels - my favs only have two or three blades.
I usually get almost a month out of a blade.

If I were to commit to the oil and better foam with a brush - I could probably go back to the old-school type DE with a quality blade, as they do not seem to clog-up as easily as the 4/5-blade modern versions.

Twin-blade bic cheapos also seem to work well for me
I find that the new styles with 5 blades and that trailing flex mechanism just doesn't work as well for me.

TRIMMING THE BEARD / STACHE:
If you have a beard / 'stache that needs to be shaped / maintained - GET A WAHL Lithium-Ion kit with the guides. Trust me - you'll love it (Recently upgraded to one of the newer stainless ones) I only need to charge it about once a month. If I go on Vacation - I charge it before I go and can leave the charger at home
Their blades get close without "biting". Had a Conair and the blades on that one did not get close enough.

Last edited:
I'm four shaves in with the traditional shaving. I'm using all the same equipment for thirty days as to hone my technique. I'll make 3 passes each shave, and relather each time. It's fun again. Although for now, I'm not crazy about the performance of the soap i have, as different prep has resulted in the same affect. I've got some samples from stirling soap company to try after the initial 30 days. My aftershave is dunshire from stirling soap which i like, but i will eventually pick up some classics such as pinaud and give them a try.

Shave soaps are wonderful...I've used a few and not had a bad one. I enjoy using a brush. Punt the can shave creams.

Norelco OneBlade ! ! ! Excellent for what it does. Cheap too.

Back