What do you have your WSM on???

Steve CT

TVWBB Member
I am thinking on making some sort of small deck or something to place my grill and smoker on. However, I have read that you should not use your WSM on cement. What about pavers? They may be cement or something but but not sure if these will break like a cement driveway.

I may have to use something like slate or something like that but I want it to be flat and level to keep the grill and WSM level.

If possible let me know what you keep your smoker on?

I have mine on a deck or on my driveway but between the deck and the WSM is an oil drip pan. The rectangle type that is about 4'x2'.

On my deck in back of the house. I've been using one of those fireproof mats. I just bought today a big galvanized pan (26" diameter) from the plumbers shop to use under the WSM. My last smoke I had a major amout of grease and was oh so close to a big, big mess.

Also, when I was adding hot coals to the WSM late in the cook, I placed the chimney down on the mat. No big deal at the time, but the next day when I'm cleaning up, I see that the matt has gotten brittle and broken where the high heat chimney had been. The mat is hard, with a handle cut out. It is very handy under the Weber kettle and when done can prop up so not collecting moisture or freezing to the wood.

I think that the warnings about concrete are actually about using the chimney starter directly on the concrete surface. I've used the WSM on concrete with no problems - I currently have it balanced on broken cement blocks below my deck. Very upscale.

I have 2 WSMS on my deck seated atop a set of 8 large pavers from the Home Depot in Danbury. 4 pavers and the WSM in the center...

with eight pavers I have enough room to put the center section down between the two WSMs on the pavers saving the deck from heat/grease.

I have two WSM's that I placed onto a garden cart I purchased at the local Tractor Supply store. I cut to fit a rectangular oil drip pan for the base.

I have mine sitting on a small table built just for the twins.

Nowindscreens.jpg

I've got mine on an oil drip pan (probably the same as what Jerry N. mentioned above) on my wood deck. I'm about to put casters on the drip pan(probably need plywood backing since the sheet metal is likely not rigid enough) as I like to move it around on the deck depending on the weather.

cheers,
SBB

WSM on a

4' x 2' oil drip pan on a

concrete porch

My charcoal chimney gets lit and sits on the axillary burner of my gasser.

The WSM is on the concrete top to the 6,500 gallon cistren, Right in front of the 19th century smokehouse.

I have mine on one large paver, but I saw an interesting setup at a competition last weekend. A team had their WSMs on round, inverted galvanized tubs. They fit perfectly and raised the WSM up about a foot. I didn't get a chance to talk to them, so I don't know how stable the setup is.

My whole ansemble is on a concrete patio. I do not see how the heat from the WSM could crack concrete unless cooking in severe cold. My concrete is 13" thick with rebar,so I am comfortable with setting the chimney directly on it, too.

When I had a wood deck in an apartment, I never cooked out on it at all..leaving lit coals after a cook to cool was just too risky.

Using the chimney starter on concrete will cause the concrete to explode. I had lit it that way before, I knew better, I simply forgot.

When I went to pick the chimney up and the cooler air hit the concrete it exploded. My wife heard it inside the house and thought we were lighting fireworks. Pieces of concrete went flying past my head and I now have a 1/2 inch deep hole in my sidewalk.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I use an oil drip pan on concrete

i light the chimney on the oil pan - should I have concern about damaging the concrete with the heat that the pan will pick up?

I would turn the oil pan upside down and light the chimney on the bottom of the pan.

The airspace should protect the concrete. Lighting the chimney inside the oil pan might transfer too much heat through the bottom of the pan to the concrete.

Back