What do you guys use to clean the outside of your grills?

ChrisV

TVWBB Fan
I know a lot of you could care less and probably never do it but I'm somewhat OCD and like keeping the outside of my grills clean and shiny. Generally I use Simply Green for most cleaning tasks and while it does work well at cutting through the exterior grease and grime, it generally leaves streaks and some hazing on my Webers. On my Performer I've found that if I follow up the Simply Green with some "Invisible Glass" it ends up looking showroom new but that isn't working with my new Genesis. I'm still getting streaks.

So what the best cleaner for the Exterior of a Genesis grill (both for the porcelain covered part and the SS parts)? Online reviews seem to indicate the Weber's own exterior cleaner is not very good.

Thanks

For years I've been using windex and 0000 steel wool on the performer and my two gassers. I spray the windex on them gently rub the porcelain with the steel wool and wipe dry with a paper towel. Works really well!
Here's a picture of my 16 year old Genesis 1000
S1032898_zpszdmnl456.jpg

Steel wool really? I would have thought that would be too aggressive but then again, 0000 really isn't that coarse. I will try the just the Windex at first and see where that gets me. I have to say, your grill does look impeccable!

I use a stainless steel cleaner for my Summit. I need to know what people soak their grill grates in, need to do a nice soaking/cleaing of my grates.

I clean my grill after each use. Usually all that's required is a damp rag, especially if it's still hot enough to make steam when the rag hits the metal.

If the mess is greater than normal, or I've spilled something, I just use a general-purpose cleaner (we usually use the green/env friendly stuff) and a rag.

It's pretty rare that I need more than that.

For the grates, I just pre-heat the grill on high long enough to soften the crud from the last cook, and then hit it with a wire brush. Once or twice a year, when there's a fair amount of buildup, I'll crank the grill up to high for 30-45 minutes after I pull the food off, and let the grill "self clean" until whatever is on the grates is reduced to ash.

I use Palmolive and water with a throw away rag. The soap cuts right through the grease and I don't need to worry about rinsing since I never put food directly on the table. This one is 3-years old at the time of the photo.

Last edited:
I agree with what Rich suggested. For the grates, I use Oxi-Clean and hot water. Let them soak for a while and then wire brush. Works for me. Good luck.

Some people use oven cleaner, but for the grates I recently had a decent amount of rust and simply used steel wool as suggested by the bright people here. I've cleaned the outside with olive oil too! It works believe it or not. My wife is on an all natural kick so I had to improvise.

I had some old WSM grates that I have not cleaned in years with the exception of burning them on the kettle. This last weekend I purchased the water heater pan and soaked my grates in Oxy-Clean and then hit them with a plastic scrubber pad. It took grates down past the nickel plating, in parts. The grates will be getting replaced here shortly. I don't know if this happened because of the Oxy-Clean or if it happened because the grates were old? One thing I do know, the Oxy-Clean got them clean.

Back