What do you do with the used water?

Mike Copen

Just a simple question. . . . I would love to get some input. . . .

What do you do with that nasty water in the pan AFTER the cook????

Thanks!

I find that a little splash of it behind each ear gets chicks - they get the urge to start nibblin'!

(But, Seriously) It depends on where you're located at the time of year:

WARM WEATHER:
Get a big funnel & save some gallon plastic milk jugs & lids. Pour the goop into the jugs through the funnel, seal-up tight, put into a plastic bag tied tight and put in the trash.
(If you have a garden, and only use the smoker occasionally, you could dig a trench & burry the slop, but it may attract undesired critters.)

COLD WEATHER:
Let the pan cool down. Grease will solidify & float on top. fish & scrape it out with tongs, bag, & discard. You can now dump the water down your waste disposal without much problem. (It's the grease that creates problems with plumbing / septic - if you separate the grease out, the rest of the crud is pretty much sewer-safe.)

Hope this helps

Mike -

I do this - just as Ron says - all year long:

WARM WEATHER:
Get a big funnel & save some gallon plastic milk jugs & lids. Pour the goop into the jugs through the funnel, seal-up tight, put into a plastic bag tied tight and put in the trash.

Jim

I do not use water. I use a foiled clay flower pot base in a foiled water pan. IMHO, it works better then using water and the clean up is 1-2-3.

Bob

That is primarily the reason that I don't use water.

I did use once and did something I read here a long time ago. I put the cold ash into a plastic trash bag, then poured the water in. the ash absorbed most of the water. Tied it up and in the trash it went.

Without water though, I have no drips of grease from the smoker, no steam in the face if opening the door, no mess to deal with.

Back