What do you do with empty one pound propane tanks?

Check your garbage collector some will recycle them or trash but you should drain and punch a hole in them.
I just punch the little needle valve down with a Philips and hammer and recycle.
Turns out this is the correct answer around here. I was gonna drill a hole but I like your idea way better.

I have a 20lb tank adapter hose, but I picked a dozen 3lb tanks at a yard sale for 20 bucks. Then I did some reveiw on u tube about refilling the tanks, so I bought the adapter and a digital scale for less than 20 bucks and and just did my first tank a few weeks ago only takes about 5 minutes very easy.

Ya know, my amazing crazy state does some weird ****. Like the 2035 electric car debacle that will come.

However this is actually a great idea. I hadn’t given any thought to what to do with these things until today. I’ll bring home a valve removal tool from work tomorrow and stick this in my recycling, I’m sure however it will cause some concern when it makes it to the recycling center.

I’d be ok with refilling one or maybe a company like Cynch will deliver them when they swap out my 20 pounders.
Heck if that day does some maybe I’ll just hook up the 20 lb adapter hose I have.

Ya know, my amazing crazy state does some weird ****. Like the 2035 electric car debacle that will come.
There's a lot to unpack there, fer sure.

However this is actually a great idea. I hadn’t given any thought to what to do with these things until today. I’ll bring home a valve removal tool from work tomorrow and stick this in my recycling, I’m sure however it will cause some concern when it makes it to the recycling center.
It might be a surprise to find one that someone actually made safe by puncturing or removing the valve...but I agree, it is a great idea. Why not add the 1lb. refillables to the propane exchange infrastructure already in place?

EDIT: I'm relying on memory, but I think those valves are set too deep for the Schrader valve tool I have.

I find the 1 lb tanks convenient to use at home for ( very rare ) sweating copper or ( often ) using the weed burner to light coal.

When I go camping I take my 20lb or my 5lb tank. I have a "tree" and I mount a propane lantern on top of it and it has a couple of fittings to supply a stove or two with hoses.

I don't transport disposables that I refill, because it's not legal to. I had to look this up but here is the reg

For cylinders manufactured prior to October 1, 1996: “Federal law forbids transportation if refilled-penalty up to $25,000 fine and 5 years imprisonment (49 U.S.C. 1809)” or “Federal law forbids transportation if refilled-penalty up to $500,000 fine and 5 years imprisonment (49 U.S.C. 5124).”

Last edited:
I'm really thinking the propane exchange companies will get in on this. It's pretty much a no-brainer. People are already used to paying $5 for a 1lb. bottle so the markup is already there for the gas. A non-exchange price might add $30 or more to cover the cost of the refillable bottle. I'm fairly certain that widespread refilling of 1lb. bottles at home is not going to be encouraged so some entrepenurial-types or propane company will likely meet the need.

There's a lot to unpack there, fer sure.

It might be a surprise to find one that someone actually made safe by puncturing or removing the valve...but I agree, it is a great idea. Why not add the 1lb. refillables to the propane exchange infrastructure already in place?

EDIT: I'm relying on memory, but I think those valves are set too deep for the Schrader valve tool I have.
I believe that may be correct on the Schrader tool, Which would surprise me because I couldn’t find a tool specifically for propane valve removal.

Back