What do you do with ash?

Snuff it or let it burn overnight. Dump it in a garbage bag and set it on the driveway for an hour or two. If there aren't any hot coals that melt the bag, in the trash it goes. I've also used it to fill low spots in the yard mixed in with topsoil.

I usually dump it under the shrubs on the property line with my neighbor. They seem to like it - the shrubs, not the neighbors.

usually dump it in the back, but recently haven been gathering it in a galvanized can...

as for the liquids in my water pan...its been killing the grass ha.

I have a small galvanized garbage can with a lid. I line it with a plastic garbage bag. I dump in the can a day or so later. With the lid on, if there is a live coal it will die. Further, no chance of setting something on fire (happens all of the time when people fail to take precautions). Every couple of weeks, the plastic bag full of COLD ashes goes in the trash. I use almost nothing but Kingsford Original and they tell me it's not good for a garden...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Reviving an old thread instead of making a new one because I am curious what is a good way to dispose of used charcoal briquette ashes.

I have read these briquette ashes aren’t great for the garden.

Also I am wondering if anyone has a method of dumping ashes and separating/reusing briquette remnants.

This question pertains to briquette ashes, but if anyone burning lump charcoal has and suggestions, let me know. I know there is less ashes with these and lump coal ashes might actually be good in the garden.

Reviving an old thread instead of making a new one because I am curious what is a good way to dispose of used charcoal briquette ashes.

I have read these briquette ashes aren’t great for the garden.

Also I am wondering if anyone has a method of dumping ashes and separating/reusing briquette remnants.

This question pertains to briquette ashes, but if anyone burning lump charcoal has and suggestions, let me know. I know there is less ashes with these and lump coal ashes might actually be good in the garden.
Lump, real charcoal, just leaves carbon as its residue. You can incorporate it into a compost bin as it’s good for soil. It’s THE reason I barely use briqs anymore. The residual ash and smell of briqs on direct cooks is unappealing, once you’ve had lump to cook direct heat with.

JMO, YMMV.

I toss my briq ash into a container and dump then when the container is full. So maybe 2x a year now.

Lump, real charcoal, just leaves carbon as its residue. You can incorporate it into a compost bin as it’s good for soil. It’s THE reason I barely use briqs anymore. The residual ash and smell of briqs on direct cooks is unappealing, once you’ve had lump to cook direct heat with.

JMO, YMMV.

I toss my briq ash into a container and dump then when the container is full. So maybe 2x a year now.
I get what your saying about briquettes.

I got six bags of them when I bought my grill used.

I will probably give the lump a go once my briquette supply is extinguished.

Thanks!

I get what your saying about briquettes.

I got six bags of them when I bought my grill used.

I will probably give the lump a go once my briquette supply is extinguished.

Thanks!
Buy some Jealous Devil and cook direct with it. Save your briq’s for LAS (not the airport but low and slow) cooks. You’ll use les JD than briq on direct cooks and recycle your extinguished JD into your next cook. My own consumption shows I use less fuel using JD than when I cooked with KPro. And food tastes better, IMO. This is for direct heat cooks. I use my KPro stash for overnight LAS cooks. When I’m done with KPro I’ll use lump, JD, exclusively.

When we had a garden we would add the ash into areas we were going to till for the next crop or season. Also during winter would put into composer

Back