What do you do for a living? *****

Shane,

I'd have to check to see if it was one of ours or not but it's not a project I worked on. I have two 200MW projects being constructed in MN at the moment. The company I work for does operations and matainence for many other developers around the world so it's possible that another company built it but we basically operate it for them.

Nate

Gotcha. It sure is a neat concept and it seems to be well recieved by the locals. I haven't got up close to one yet. Do they make much noise?

They do make noise. Our setbacks from livable dwellings is usually around 1000ft. At that distance the sound level is comparable to a refrigerator or a moderately quiet room. You can standing underneath them without raising your voice but you hear a swooshing as the blades cut through the wind. I think it's a soothing noise. Some claim it's sounds like a jet engine.

You are welcome. About 90% of my job is dispelling rumors that landowners pick up from each other or the media. Best to get it straight from the source!

I'm a software developer for a pretty fast-growing Internet startup. I love what I do...but if this thing ends up paying off big, I could see myself switching to consulting work and cutting my hours back so I could spend more time with my wife and daughter (and Q'ing, too, of course).

I have worked for UPS for almost 20 yrs. I have been driving a pkg car for the last 5. I really love the job, I get to 'mess' with 100 of my closest friends every day! The hours stink though, late hours = missing A LOT of my two sons life! Oh well, it has provided a roof over our heads, and we haven't gone hungry yet, so I guess I can't complain!!

I was in corporate human resources for 7 years, then up and lost my job in July 2010. I'll be done with my degree (Business Management, Human Resources) in May 2011, and hope to find a new job before then.

In the mean time, it's given me a LOT of extra time with the fam and with my beloved Weber!!

Barret

When looking at all these postings it is amazing to see how many diverse backgrounds we all have and yet share such a great common thread in our outdoor cooking. My wife and I spent 40 years in Alaska and retired to a beautiful golf community in Washington state. I owned a commercial printing company in Anchorage along with a fishing charter business and was a BMI/ASCAP licensed square dance caller for 20 years. Now it's all Golfing, Q'n and reliving old Alaskan events. Life ain't bad. Bob

I couldn't agree more Bob. I guess I figured everyone would be doing roughly the same thing and I would be the odd ball. There are people from every walk of life here, pretty cool. I'm still the odd ball, but at least I feel comfortable here! :
icon_biggrin.gif

I have working as a teacher for 17 years, we're talking kids, teenagers and grownups. I’ve taught English, Norwegian, background, history, woodworking, music, driving skills, computer skills, religion- you name it, as long as its not math or physics.

For the last ten years I have been using my time as a sysadmin in a small IT based company, doing lots of different stuff, but mainly getting the servers and workstations that our developers use to work as expected. Printers, WAN, LAN, antivirus, firewalls, databases, backup routines and so on included, as well as lately, all the telephones.

I am a freight broker with a pretty large logistics company with an even bigger printing company backing us up. Basically, I have freight and I sell it to trucking companies to take it from point A to point B. Most of the stuff we move goes to everyone's house at some point. We are the largest private user of the USPS.

Originally posted by Chuck Simon:
I am a freight broker with a pretty large logistics company with an even bigger printing company backing us up. Basically, I have freight and I sell it to trucking companies to take it from point A to point B. Most of the stuff we move goes to everyone's house at some point. We are the largest private user of the USPS.

Didn't read the whole email before saying Pollard, I will say HC then ? We've been moving printed matter, mainly in the gaming industry, for 20 years.

Semi retired.. former was 25 yrs in real estate (residential, commercial, land, new construction) and most recently securitized commerical tenant in common (TIC) investments.

Now I day trade the futures market, cook in and outdoors, and handle cooking responsibilites for a non profit.

John

I work for the Nations largest Cable Company. Yep, the one Shaq does ads for. I am responsible for maintaining the Video-On-Demand system in all of California. I manage the flow of content, the streaming of mpegs to your set-top boxes and I monitor all of the servers and back office equipment. Its not unusual for me to get called at 3am when something goes down so I can remote in and determine the cause and corrective action.

Back