What do you do for a living? *****

I'm a Project Manager for an Architectural Woodwork company. We basically build all types of cabinetry and wooden structures, from Kitchens to all the woodwork for entire courtrooms. I've been doing this for about 6 years now. Prior to that, I owned and operated a custom cabinetry shop. Due to the down turn in the economy, I decided to go back to school and get a degree in Computer Science. Now if I can just get some experience under my belt so I can get a job! LOL On a good note... I have lots of access to various kiln-dried hardwoods for smoking. :)

Originally posted by Sam Paul:
I'm a Project Manager for an Architectural Woodwork company. We basically build all types of cabinetry and wooden structures, from Kitchens to all the woodwork for entire courtrooms. I've been doing this for about 6 years now. Prior to that, I owned and operated a custom cabinetry shop. Due to the down turn in the economy, I decided to go back to school and get a degree in Computer Science. Now if I can just get some experience under my belt so I can get a job! LOL On a good note... I have lots of access to various kiln-dried hardwoods for smoking. :)

How about making us some weber standard looking wooden handles yo?!?

What??? And replace those sleek, awesome looking plastic ones???
icon_biggrin.gif

This is a Great thread.

I work in HVAC for the Trane franchise here in Shreveport. (It's Hard to Start er' I mean Stop a Trane)
icon_wink.gif

Been in the HVAC business for nye on 31 years. Stared in residential HVAC and the last 16 have been with Trane in commercial and building automation systems.

It's my mission to air condition the world before I die.

I fix broken smiles. Sometimes I can do that by serving pulled pork or bbq'd brisket. Usually, though, I have to see them in my office. I'm a dentist.

I am a sales rep for pharmaceutical research automation for early stage drug discovery covering north and south America. Our products help create and keep track of thousands of experiments on biological and viral targets. I started at the company as a mechanical engineer and then jumped to sales a few months after.

My circumstances have changed a bit since I responded to this in 2010.

I have (happily) closed my trucking business. The ranch in Florida still operates and is doing well, though I am rarely there.

I manage the business end of my partner's photography/film/design business.

As a private chef, I have dropped nearly all my former clients and no longer cook all over the country on a regular basis. Now, I cook for clients who have a home in Las Vegas and are here for usually 9-12 weeks at a time before going off to Asia, Australia or Europe for about 6-8 weeks at a time. I cook for them when they are here - 8-12 different meals per day, as they eat differently from each other and at different times. Keeps me busy.

Well it looks as though I am a one of kind here so far, I am just a Airframe & Powerplant mechanic, or a" aircraft mechanic". I work for the largest private aircraft operator in the world. There that is my big job build up. I have been doing this since 1971 when I started my career as a Jet engine tech. in the USAF. The job can be very interesting, and challenging at times,I have enjoyed it alot,currently or at least the last 20 years my postion is a Fleet maintance coordinator,on business aircraft, 6 more years to go.
Kevin

Originally posted by Kevin L (NKY):
Well it looks as though I am a one of kind here so far, I am just a Airframe & Powerplant mechanic, or a" aircraft mechanic". I work for the largest private aircraft operator in the world. There that is my big job build up. I have been doing this since 1971 when I started my career as a Jet engine tech. in the USAF. The job can be very interesting, and challenging at times,I have enjoyed it alot,currently or at least the last 20 years my postion is a Fleet maintance coordinator,on business aircraft, 6 more years to go.
Kevin
Where in Northern KY? My family is from all around the Covington area. Ft. Wright was where my parents last lived.

Fun thread, nice to see so many different professions are represented. I am a systems architect / presales engineer working for a very large global tech company. I design datacenter solutions, high performance clusters and IT infrastructure, and also sell those things on a technical level to our largest customers. Right here in Oslo.

So for me, the BBQing is a nice way to relax/unwind and do something completely different. I like how it's a very analogue, do things with your hands hobby while it also involves quite a lot on knowledge, experience and strategy. It makes it perfect for me.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I am just a Airframe & Powerplant mechanic, or a" aircraft mechanic".
Kevin,

As an ex-pilot, I reacted to your comment that you were "just a". You guys kept me safe many times and I will always appreciate the work you do. Our military aircraft would not be in the air without the mechanics behind the scenes. Thanks to you and all of your kind!

Ray

Originally posted by Ray Crick:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am just a Airframe & Powerplant mechanic, or a" aircraft mechanic".
Kevin,

As an ex-pilot, I reacted to your comment that you were "just a". You guys kept me safe many times and I will always appreciate the work you do. Our military aircraft would not be in the air without the mechanics behind the scenes. Thanks to you and all of your kind!

Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a little different perspective on that and COMPLETELY agree with Ray. I was just a pencil pusher in the USAF. But I met hundreds, maybe thousands, of pilots and almost to a man they were extremely high on the mechanics who kept them alive literally on a day-by-day basis. People can always *****, but how often is it that you hear people routinely talking to others about how great the folks were who were responsible for their safety?

Rich

Originally posted by Mark Ritter:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin L (NKY):
Kevin
Where in Northern KY? My family is from all around the Covington area. Ft. Wright was where my parents last lived. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I live on the south side of Alexandria, just before 536 & 27, Moved here about 20 years ago from LA ( valley area). Love this place and the people.

Ray.& RIch I appericate your kind words,another one of those jobs where you get to work out in the weather, and on all holidays, an in not so glamorus countries, at weird hours. But it is all a part of the aviation lifestyle.

Well I'm retired a lot sooner than I was planning on it. I did HVAC work for 20years until my knees and hips didn't like being on rooftops 8hrs a day when it was -40c. Started my own small HVAC company with 8 employees but didn't like babysitting that much so cut it back to just me and 1 employee. Two years ago my knee quit cooperating with me so I shut down and went on temporary disability. Then last August my hip went on me so I had a hip replacement in April, I previously had a hip and knee replacement. My insurance company then informed me out of the blue that they had reviewed my case and were putting me on long term disability till I'm 65,no more work for me. So now I'm trying to figure out what to do with myself to fill my time. Luckily I have a rather large yard that keeps me busy 3-4 days a week+golf+fishing but will have to figure something out for the winter months. I'm open to suggestions.

Originally posted by Bob Sample:
Well I'm retired a lot sooner than I was planning on it. I did HVAC work for 20years until my knees and hips didn't like being on rooftops 8hrs a day when it was -40c. Started my own small HVAC company with 8 employees but didn't like babysitting that much so cut it back to just me and 1 employee. Two years ago my knee quit cooperating with me so I shut down and went on temporary disability. Then last August my hip went on me so I had a hip replacement in April, I previously had a hip and knee replacement. My insurance company then informed me out of the blue that they had reviewed my case and were putting me on long term disability till I'm 65,no more work for me. So now I'm trying to figure out what to do with myself to fill my time. Luckily I have a rather large yard that keeps me busy 3-4 days a week+golf+fishing but will have to figure something out for the winter months. I'm open to suggestions.

Hey, Bob. It sounds like your body wanted a break!

As for suggestions, you might like woodworking or wood carving. If you have the temperament (and as an HVAC guy, I would expect so) and your joint can take a LITTLE stress, you could find that hours just vanish somehow.

I started with an inexpensive but solid set of gouges, added special ones as I thought I needed and picked up wood where I could. (My first carving was a cut and re-glued 2x4. It's still rather special.)

Today, I would recommend the large Flexcut carving tool set. You get most all the tools you could need with excellent quality for about $150. You can make your own handles for each gouge you typically use (or for the whole set), but the included handles will get you a good startup.

Woodworking gets into more tools and more cost, but that depends on you.
icon_biggrin.gif

Rich

Originally posted by Chris W.:
I'm a draftsman. Do all sorts of CAD work. Used to do electrical, but was laid off and now do do mechanical work, which I find much more interesting than the electrical side.

I am also a AutoCAD Draftsman/Estimator for a large forming & shoring supply company. Our home office is in Kansas City, MO

There you go, Bob. Another recommendation for you.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bet you didn't see it, but search for "google sketchup" and download the free program. Spend some time with it, invest in one of the inexpensive books on how to use it if you like what you find, and you'll have a great tool to help design anything you like. Believe me, it can provide endless hours of retirement enjoyment.

Rich

Back