What Degreaser do you use to Clean your Grill?

Samuel

TVWBB Wizard
I was wondering what Degreaser do you use to Clean your Grills?
I tried Easy Off and seemed to be too Strong and removed paint.
I am going to try Super Clean since I have seen some good results with it.
I have used Simple Green to soak grill grates and have had some positive results.
Thanks for all replies. I appreciate them all.

Attachments

• Super Clean.jpeg
    Super Clean.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Simple Green.png
    Simple Green.png
    380.3 KB · Views: 2
I've used this green Home Depot Brand degrease recently to clean up a really greasy grill, it seems to work well, I sprayed it down a few times with it and then most of the gunk scraped off.

Another recommended product on here is the Dawn power Dissolver. It works very well, but it's very expensive, a 2-pack on amazon was $30. If you buy it in higher quantities it gets cheaper like anything else.

That said I haven't used either of these products with the intention of keeping the paint on the end caps or cook box since they're in the process of being rehabbed.

There is no paint under the lid of the grill, it's typically porcelain, and the end caps should not be painted inside either.

I've used both of those products on the inside of lids without it damaging the black porcelain on the inside. The Dawn power Dissolver is really good for this task.

I found a product called Dissolve, made by dawn, its a spay bottle but it is thick so it sticks real well. Does a great job.

My concern was not taking the paint off in the firebox but under the hood.
That is not paint under the hood. That is burned on carbon. It should be black ceramic under the carbon which is what you want. After you spray it down with grill cleaner, let it set a while, then grab a single edge razor holder and blade and scrape it off.

Costco Canada Business Outlet carry commercial grill cleaner in a 4 litre jug.
It's concentrated sodium hydroxide.
It was approx $8 CAD for the jug.
Does a wonderful job with a couple of caveats:
1. It eats through rubber gloves and the mist when you spray it takes the anti-glare coating off prescription eyewear. (I ruined a pair of glasses)
2. It makes you cough if you inhale the vapours.

It does a wonderful job - I degreased a BBQ that had many years of baked on grease - it cleaned it back to the stainless and it looked like new.

Costco Canada Business Outlet carry commercial grill cleaner in a 4 litre jug.
It's concentrated sodium hydroxide.
It was approx $8 CAD for the jug.
Does a wonderful job with a couple of caveats:
1. It eats through rubber gloves and the mist when you spray it takes the anti-glare coating off prescription eyewear. (I ruined a pair of glasses)
2. It makes you cough if you inhale the vapours.

It does a wonderful job - I degreased a BBQ that had many years of baked on grease - it cleaned it back to the stainless and it looked like new.

I think it is doing more to your lungs than just making you cough. Sounds like some extra potent stuff that needs to be used with some eye and breathing protection.

NaOH. Hmmm. Uh I hope it works. Cause that is nasty stuff. Drain cleaner? Tried to get the info on this stuff. Fought me the whole way. Even the safety data sheet. Well if it works well...
If it makes you cough, it should, you in trouble. Take care.

Last edited:

Back