What Brand of Wood Chunks do you use

Andre A

TVWBB Member
Lots of talk here on "best" charcoal, lump vs briquette, chunks vs chips, wet chunk vs dry chunk, 4 chunks vs 2 chunks, pecan chunks vs cherry chunks and so much more. What I do not see a lot of is the best brand of chunks. Are all brand of wood chunks the same? Am I all set with the home depot kingsford chunks or is there another secret brand out there I must use. And how long does it take wood to cure?

I look forward to your response

I used Western Hickory and Apple for years. For several years I used Western Peach, but they stopped producing it.

A month ago at the suggestion of others I bought a test box of Fruita Wood (peach.) The difference is night and day! Fruita Wood has a higher moisture content, and the smoke flavor it imparts is distinct, but mellow and smooth. I tested Fruita Wood in both grilling steaks and low-n-slow BBQ, and I am very pleased.

I typically use Western brand Pecan, Apple, and Cherry because I can get it for about $3 a bag on Post. If they run out, I'll use either Kingsford or Weber brand chunks from Lowes or Home Depot. The thing I cannot find in these brands around South Jersey is Oak. I would love to try Fruita Wood but really don't want to pay the money. I'll bet its worth it though if you can swing it.

After trying many sources of wood chunks and chips I have settled on Smokinlicious woods. Great service and chunks--I buy the double filet size, usually cherry, hickory and red oak.

B&B chunks are pretty common in my area. Typically Pecan and Cherry, though sometimes I will branch out into Oak or Hickory, particularly with beef. I have not been able to discern a difference between brands. All I know is that your wood must be sufficiently dry or it will burn dirty. All wood shipped across state lines for sale has to be kiln dried in order to kill off insects, so it's never really a problem with store bought regardless of brand.

Andre, I Have been fortunate enough to have never had to purchase wood. White oak, hickory, and pecan are readily available in this area of NC. Most of the time, in the spring or fall when people are trimming trees, it’s sitting beside the road for the taking. I know where several cherry and apple trees are, and my bro-in law lives in SC, so I’m able to get peach as well. He has, with all the vineyards popping up, I’ve been able to get grape vine for the last few years also. Point being, if you have a little time, and don’t mind asking a stranger for branches sitting on the curb, a lot of the times there is plenty of (free) wood for the taking. Stop by a local arborist, you may wind up with more varieties than you Could think of...
just a few suggestions,
Tim

All I know is that your wood must be sufficiently dry or it will burn dirty. All wood shipped across state lines for sale has to be kiln dried in order to kill off insects, so it's never really a problem with store bought regardless of brand.
FYI Matt, not all wood is kiln dried. Fruita Wood openely states their wood is air dried. Not sure if its their packaging or if they fall under different regs.

As far as smoke, you're correct. One way I've found around dirty smoke is to cover the lump of wood with charcoal. A lot of the contaminates are then burned by the charcoal, but the clean wood flavor stays. (FYI, never had a dirty burn with Fruita or with Western, just the off brands.)

I just bought wood yesterday at my local wood lot, here's a $100 worth of pecan on the left and red oak on the right.

The second pic is what I do with the splits, using a Kindling Cracker and a miter saw, and I use the miter saw to make chunks.

IMG_20200427_182852.jpgIMG_20200428_091156_kindlephoto-90743287.jpg

FYI Matt, not all wood is kiln dried. Fruita Wood openely states their wood is air dried. Not sure if its their packaging or if they fall under different regs.

As far as smoke, you're correct. One way I've found around dirty smoke is to cover the lump of wood with charcoal. A lot of the contaminates are then burned by the charcoal, but the clean wood flavor stays. (FYI, never had a dirty burn with Fruita or with Western, just the off brands.)

I looked into it further and apparently it varies by state and region. However, almost all have some regulation. I suppose in order to be fully complaint many use kiln drying, but not all. Here’s a neat interactive map of firewood laws:

The second pic is what I do with the splits, using a Kindling Cracker and a miter saw, and I use the miter saw to make chunks.

Well.. Good luck with that. Miter saws and irregular shaped objects don't work well together.
I'm not trying to be a smart arse, just a Carpenter who would never do that.;)

Tim

I looked into it further and apparently it varies by state and region. However, almost all have some regulation. I suppose in order to be fully complaint many use kiln drying, but not all. Here’s a neat interactive map of firewood laws:
That's a great link, thanks!

After trying many sources of wood chunks and chips I have settled on Smokinlicious woods. Great service and chunks--I buy the double filet size, usually cherry, hickory and red oak.

Me too. I like the Alder also, seems milder then the PNW species.
I love it on chicken.

Tim

@Lynn Dollar When you say "local Wood lot" what exactly do you mean. In other words what am I "googling" for Northern Virginia. and if that fails, then I should be safe with the local chunks at the big box store?

@Lynn Dollar When you say "local Wood lot" what exactly do you mean. In other words what am I "googling" for Northern Virginia. and if that fails, then I should be safe with the local chunks at the big box store?

Try Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, search for bbq wood or smoker wood. Or try searching for firewood.

My local woodlot is a guy who lives on a trailer on about 2 acres , and its filled with wood, both smoker wood and firewood. I've no idea where sources his wood.

Interesting. This guy is right in the middle of the city. LOL this guy could potentially be located two blocks from Congress. Color me curious where he sources his wood from. But I'll send him an email.

Having said this, I know nothing about wood. I may go there and ask for cherry wood and leave with ply. Any tips on discerning the difference. Not Ply I was being sarcastic.

These pics from that woodlots Craiglist posting, I'm pretty sure this one is oak, see the diff color in middle

00a0a_7sNmQwTvrmE_600x450.jpg

And the middle section in this pic, looks like cherry, because of the reddish tint, to the right looks to be pecan or hickory. I can't tell hickory without seeing the bark, it has a very distinctive look to it.

01717_fRQozPDQwNl_600x450.jpg

Well.. Good luck with that. Miter saws and irregular shaped objects don't work well together.
I'm not trying to be a smart arse, just a Carpenter who would never do that.;)

Tim

Well, I think your fear is over blown, I've been cuttin chunks and splits for two years with almost no problem.

But that said, I like my fingers. What saw do you recommend that is perfectly safe ? Chainsaw in my mind, is more dangerous than the miter or chop saw .

It's not fear, just respect for my tools, and knowing what they are designed for.;)
All it takes is that one time, and you might fear it enough to respect it.
Hand saws or sawzalls are safer as they let the waste piece fall away. If the piece is too0 small to hold use a vise.

Tim

Well, the two kickbacks I've experienced have been small pieces. And my saw kicked those away from me.

I've got too much to cut to use a hand saw.

But I'm gonna use a stick to hold the piece against the fence and stand to one side. Or not cut all the way though the piece, just far enough that I can break it apart.

Back