What Brand of Wood Chunks do you use

Stand way to the side, and use something stable besides your hand ( quick grip, clamp) to hold the waste piece.
don't clamp it to tight, that causes a kick back.
let the saw do it's work and good luck.:rolleyes:

Tim

Wine barrel stave chunks. Red wine barrel preferred.

The smell of oak and wine when smoking. Mmmm.

Nice with ribs and Tri tip.

I get mine from Maine Grilling Woods. They ship everywhere. They have a bunch of great ones. Their mesquite is milder to me than others and they have an olive wood that is phenomenal with chicken. They do a sampler package where you get enough of each type the sell for about 2 cooks.

Smoker wood identification, or at least seasoned wood with bark remaining ............. top is pecan, seasoned about one year.

Bottom four are hickory, which has a dark gray color and with light gray spotting. I'm not sure if the spotting is consistent with all hickory. I bought this hickory in Dec 2018.

Also , the hickory bark has a more distinct texture.

IMG_20200503_105453.jpg

I have always like local wood. So I used multiple hardwoods. Orchards usually have piles.... Hickory is one wood I typically could not find but for me pork requires some hickory I usually would find at HD.
For grilling, I like pecan shells.

It's not fear, just respect for my tools, and knowing what they are designed for.;)
All it takes is that one time, and you might fear it enough to respect it.
Hand saws or sawzalls are safer as they let the waste piece fall away. If the piece is too0 small to hold use a vise.

Tim

Tim, if you're buying a reciprocating saw for this type of use, what do you look for and what would you buy ? Appears to me, that a fella could spend about as much as they want to spend , or go to Harbor Freight.

Also, do blades come in differing lengths ? Some of the blades I see on these saws, are not very long .

I have a corded Milwaukee and porter cable. Cordless Dewalt.
Blades I use are a 6" and 8" pruning blade. They can go as long as 12" and I did cut down an old tree with one and the porter cable.

Tim

I have been very pleased with Smokinlicious wood chunks.
After trying many sources of wood chunks and chips I have settled on Smokinlicious woods. Great service and chunks--I buy the double filet size, usually cherry, hickory and red oak.

My issue with Smokinlicious is that they kiln dry their woods. Fruita naturally dries their wood, so going with them was an easy choice for me.

Fruita's specialty is fruit wood. Especially peach, which their website says is 60% of their volume.

Western Colorado is a big fruit growing area and is famous for producing Palisade peaches. Palisade peaches are everywhere in Colorado during the summer -- road side stands, farmers markets, etc. So I use their peach wood -- works well and is a cool local supplier for me to use. I plan to drop by their shop next time I'm on the western slope.

I've heard that fruit woods (unlike hardwoods like oak and hickory) smoke best if they are less seasoned. Fruita says they ship their fruit woods with more sap/moisture than others. YMMV.

Another question -- what size chunks do you use? All big? How big? Mix of big/small? Makes no difference?

Fruita's specialty is fruit wood. Especially peach, which their website says is 60% of their volume.

Western Colorado is a big fruit growing area and is famous for producing Palisade peaches. Palisade peaches are everywhere in Colorado during the summer -- road side stands, farmers markets, etc. So I use their peach wood -- works well and is a cool local supplier for me to use. I plan to drop by their shop next time I'm on the western slope.

I've heard that fruit woods (unlike hardwoods like oak and hickory) smoke best if they are less seasoned. Fruita says they ship their fruit woods with more sap/moisture than others. YMMV.

Another question -- what size chunks do you use? All big? How big? Mix of big/small? Makes no difference?
I order their 3"x3" chunks. I like them over the bags in the stores because it is basically all chunks, no chips and scraps. I prefer nice chunks over smaller pieces.

Back